Poor MPG/economy

Didjeridave

I've always been rather 'keen on the vtec' whilst driving my MC2 & I've grown fairly accustomed to petrol being quaffed faster than a women's rugby team get through pints of lambrini. Seems at the moment it's worse than ever though; this current tankfull looks set to get me less than 200 miles. Lambda sensors appear to be the first thing to check/replace - anyone got any other suggestions?

Ta muchly,

D.

when was the last time it had a good service?

you should get 30-32mpg. The best way is do it over a tank as you get the fuller picture. Going from fuel light coming on (this is below the bottom of the red line in the mb6 so probably the same in the mc2) fill it up, back to the light coming on note down the miles and how many litres it takes to fill it up and put the numbers in to this calculator:

http://www.torquecars.com/tools/uk-mpg-calculator.php

must admit i have found my mpg to be much much better since changing o2 sensor.

i put 40 quid of super in last week . so far im on 109 miles with just over quarter tank left. all city driving.

before changing sensor i would have been empty for sure.

I should have added, it's had a very recent oil & oil filter change, though not the fuel. Air filter is a K&N 57i & I've cleaned that recently too. Sure, I'll have to get a good idea of the exact mpg. I've got new colder plugs to go on it too, although the current ones (NGK Iridiums) have only seen 20k. Lambda sensors seem to be about £50, I might change that to be sure; it passed the CO test by 0.01% I think!!

Thing is, one of my workmates was behind me the other day & said he thought it smelt rich. I've always been dubious of comments from people with apparent gas analysers for nostrils, but I think I'm correct in saying that if the lambda is worn out then it would result in overfuelling??

The car runs on the 02 sensor till you are at 70% throttle and then the car runs only on the map of the ecu . so less 70% throttle the 02 sensor will make small adjustments to the fueling getting you the best mpg it can , if the sonsor is warn out or giving a bad reading to the ecu it will not do this and the car will return a bad mpg , But mpg is more about your right foot and how you drive .

Rich.

Archived