MB6 Drinking Coolant

Greg

Gents,

As some of you are aware my MB6 was in an accident a few months ago, all is ok now, she's back on the road with a new front end..

The problem started almost straight away, the car was running extremely hot. Then in traffic on the motorway the temp needle hit red, it was unbelievably overheating... Did this for a while...

I also happen to have a MB2 aswell, sat on my drive doing nothing, so I nabbed the radiator off that, and stuck it on the MB6... Solved the overheating issues, but now I'm needing to top up almost a Litre of Coolant a week... Anyone got any ideas of the problem?

The temp is now running normal..

I was thinking of new rad pipes, new alloy rad and fan (these were already planned mods, just not yet!), would that have any effect on it?

I cannot see any visible leaks of the coolant, my oil is ok too....

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any excessive white smoke or anything?

Are your carpets dry to rule out the heater matrix etc

Could be airlocks but a litre a week is quite a bit to be an airlock, how long have you been topping up for

Any excessive white smoke or anything?

Are your carpets dry to rule out the heater matrix etc

Could be airlocks but a litre a week is quite a bit to be an airlock, how long have you been topping up for

Carpets are dry, no white smoke noticed.

Has been for around 3 weeks now... Put another litre in today which to me ruled out the airlock possibility (which i originally thought it was)

Tricky one mate, Its got to be going somewhere, Have you noticed any white residue anywhere around any of the coolant pipes or stat housing, thats whats usually left over when coolant evaporates or is burned off

coolant will leave a stain where it leaks, so look where it could be leaking from and watch for any staining from the coolant

my guess is the drain plug is not tight enough or the o - ring is worn

f.jpg

coolant will leave a stain where it leaks, so look where it could be leaking from and watch for any staining from the coolant

my guess is the drain plug is not tight enough or the o - ring is worn

f.jpg

Cheers gents... Will have a nosey at said parts....

James that's an awesome diagram mate, where is it from?

its the honda m workshop manual, god wrote it and jesus published it then mary bought it to try and learn more abouts gods car

its the honda m workshop manual, god wrote it and jesus published it then mary bought it to try and learn more abouts gods car

Where can i find this holy grail?!

Archived