MB6 Drinking Coolant

Greg

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its usually in the downloads but mine actually is not working at the moment . The lings link is good . See if you can download it or I can probably email it to you although I think its about a billion megabytes so it could prove tricky.

If you have had it in the red it will be head gasket mate more than likely, if you drive it hard does the temp gauge go up them ? is it blowing water out of the expansion bottle if so its 100% headgasket. Rich.

Not blowing water out of anywhere mate....

When I drive it hard, even properly pounding it the temp stays normal..

As I said the oil is fine, as such I doubted it was the head gasket.. And with the above being ok, I guess the head gasket must be ok?

Could be completely wrong though, as my car knowledge is limited....

If there's absolutely no leaks anywhere, it does sound like the head gasket, it could just be blowing from the coolant lines into one cylinder & being blown out the exhaust. From your description, I'd expect that to have gone from a small leak to having blown completely in the time you've been using it. What's the condition of the spark plugs? You should see some odd deposits if you're burning coolant in one of the chambers.

If there's absolutely no leaks anywhere, it does sound like the head gasket, it could just be blowing from the coolant lines into one cylinder & being blown out the exhaust. From your description, I'd expect that to have gone from a small leak to having blown completely in the time you've been using it. What's the condition of the spark plugs? You should see some odd deposits if you're burning coolant in one of the chambers.

Not had a look at the plugs! Good idea!

I'll have a look at them asap (be the weekend now)... Thanks!

If it is the head gasket, would there should be other symptoms?! Obviously would love to rule out the head gasket having gone!!!

I'm doing 300 miles a week at the minute and the condition isn't getting any worse though?

Hmm, 300 miles a week should easily be enough to allow a small head gasket leak of the kind described above to rupture completely & blow all your coolant out in seconds tomorrow. Or it could last another 6 months regular driving, possibly more!

That doesn't help does it?! Really though, you might experience a slight decrease in performance, but there's equal chance that the leak as described would make no difference; in fact (assuming the fault is as I GUESSED), it would possibly even improve the un-likelyhood of detonation occuring in that chamber; this is why/how water/methanol injection works! Check the plugs, hopefully that will rule out some things/give clues to others.

Good luck!

Archived