Heating not very hot

GreenVTi991

It sits just under a quarter of the way when the car is left running stationary for a while. In this recent cold weather its sat barely above the bottom line when driving.

Could be the thermostat sticking open, might want to get it changed before it decides to stick shut like mine did!

• 10 months later...

Digging up an old thread here but now the cold weather is upon us I'm once again having the same issue. The chap I car share with suggested covering half the front of the radiator with foil as he believes too much cold air is passing through the rad is what's stopping the car from warming up.

Should I give it a try?

• 4 weeks later...

As far as I know importer even made some modifications to MA:s which were not heating well when new, but it was said that it was fixed like '95 so it was somehow working from the factory. But to my knowledge those modifications were just some extra insulation to channels dividing heat.

My old EF civic could heat the interior to 55'C even on below zero outside temps, so heating was really powerful, but in MB and MC you have to use heating with full heat like 20 minutes to get car really warm and after that you can like put the heating to 80% heat to keep warm, not really so nice. And engine is definitely warm, after long enough idle the radiator fan switches on, but sill not too hot air to interior.

For my experience Peugeot 405 and 406 has really powerful heater and what ever you do, you can't get that much heat out of M. If I need to take heater apart some day, I will check if there is a possibility to put larger/better heating radiator.

also remember that the mc2 has a lot more intetior to heat up than the ef and mb's, it also has a lot more glass as well, so it could just be a chararcteristic of the deck.

I'm afraid that's not the problem. It's the same with my MB3, heating sucks SO hard. I haven't seen a car with worse heater and I hate cold :(

For my opinion only difference between MB3 and MC2 is that decks bigger engine warms up more quickly, but when engine is warm, there is no significant difference.

With MB or MC both, when it's -25 degrees outside, you need full heat all the time and still I won't really want to take my jacket off. Heater just don't have the power.

With EF it was possible to reduce heater power to like 75% heat even if it was -25 outside. Problem is not in engine heat output, problem is somewhere in the heater. My guess is that M:s heater matrix is just too small (thin) and cheap (aluminium, not copper) to transfer heat efficiently from water to air.

It was another story with old Saab 9000, you could roll down rear windows in during winter and still drive with just T-shirt on, sweating :D

Edit:

I took a look about M:s heater taken apart, heater matrix itself is ridiculously small, it just can't have the power, so it is "broken by design" :(

the other thing you could try after checking the cabin air inlet, pollon filter, seal, and the bleeding and changing of the coolant is to try the heater with the recirculation on so it's heating hot air.

tbh, i've always' found the heating to be good in both my car's....