MC2 VTi Aerodeck.

streaky

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you chap. I have to say I was also shocked at how long it took the coupe to go, especially considering the spec. It was a bit heartbreaking knowing how much I had spent on it compared to how much I let it go for. Typically after it sold I had two Buy It Now offers! :lol: I am sure Nicky (the new owner) will treat her well and appreciates he got a bargain. I was planning on keeping the coupe for many years but a surprise pregnancy meant it was always going to be on borrowed time - unfortunately our other car (an Accord 2.0) died earlier this week and we ended up scrapping it so that time finally ran out!

As for this one, it was actually a little bit too clean as it meant I had nothing to argue the price down with! Its by no means immaculate but certainly a solid and honest example.

Already got my eyes peeled one of the elusive VTi-S kits! :lol:

Glad it went to a good home, could see the effort you'd put into it. Becoming a parent certainly changes your perspective on your hobbies doesn't it. still that said I used to have an EK4 and the MB is doesn't feel like a compromise at all - just a lot harder to find aftmarket bits for, which considering how poor having kids makes you, is probably a good thing!

Thank you chap. I have to say I was also shocked at how long it took the coupe to go, especially considering the spec. It was a bit heartbreaking knowing how much I had spent on it compared to how much I let it go for. Typically after it sold I had two Buy It Now offers! :lol: I am sure Nicky (the new owner) will treat her well and appreciates he got a bargain. I was planning on keeping the coupe for many years but a surprise pregnancy meant it was always going to be on borrowed time - unfortunately our other car (an Accord 2.0) died earlier this week and we ended up scrapping it so that time finally ran out!

As for this one, it was actually a little bit too clean as it meant I had nothing to argue the price down with! Its by no means immaculate but certainly a solid and honest example.

Already got my eyes peeled one of the elusive VTi-S kits! :lol:

Glad it went to a good home, could see the effort you'd put into it. Becoming a parent certainly changes your perspective on your hobbies doesn't it. still that said I used to have an EK4 and the MB is doesn't feel like a compromise at all - just a lot harder to find aftmarket bits for, which considering how poor having kids makes you, is probably a good thing!

Well thanks all! I'll be giving it a service and fitting a few leftovers I saved from the Coupe and some small bits this weekend, so i'll get some "proper" pictures soon.

I've done my research now so here's the plans I currently have. As it's our only car and i'm poor until Mrs Streaky goes back to work they aren't particularly exciting:-

Short Term

Machine polish and service

Colour code / de-chrome

"EK9" Style headlights

Colour code rocker cover

Refurbish some grotty dress up parts

Install the coupe leftovers

Longer Term (as parts need replacing basically!)

MGZS 180 Suspension

MGZS 180 ARB

16" Alloy wheels, i have ideas but will have to wait and see what the funds allow!

Tri-Y 2.5 manifold, sports cat, probably a very quiet stainless "solid fab" exhaust.

VTI-S lip / Rear Mid-Spoiler / Rear Lip

There are a few other maybe parts - but they won't be surfacing until we definitley have a second reliable car in the household!

More to come soon, so watch this space :)

Well thanks all! I'll be giving it a service and fitting a few leftovers I saved from the Coupe and some small bits this weekend, so i'll get some "proper" pictures soon.

I've done my research now so here's the plans I currently have. As it's our only car and i'm poor until Mrs Streaky goes back to work they aren't particularly exciting:-

Short Term

Machine polish and service

Colour code / de-chrome

"EK9" Style headlights

Colour code rocker cover

Refurbish some grotty dress up parts

Install the coupe leftovers

Longer Term (as parts need replacing basically!)

MGZS 180 Suspension

MGZS 180 ARB

16" Alloy wheels, i have ideas but will have to wait and see what the funds allow!

Tri-Y 2.5 manifold, sports cat, probably a very quiet stainless "solid fab" exhaust.

VTI-S lip / Rear Mid-Spoiler / Rear Lip

There are a few other maybe parts - but they won't be surfacing until we definitley have a second reliable car in the household!

More to come soon, so watch this space :)

So it's been a week after purchasing it i finally got stuck in to sorting the car out!

I'd started collecting my bits although unfortunately still awaiting on a big bundle of deliveries! Stupid postie taking his time no doubt.

Anyway - after driving to the folks (so I could get access to my tools) this was my collection of goodies at 7:30 this morning.

IMGP4374.jpg

After draining the oil, changing the filter, I whipped out the plugs and installed some Bosche Super 4's. Usually I go for Denso Iridiums but being a family man now with just one wage coming in, I've had to work on a vastly reduced budget to my old cars!

Comparison of old plug vs new, barely look used to be honest!

IMGP4378.jpg

After doing the plugs, I topped up the oil and I started to strip things out to allow me to get access to the thermostat (it seemed to be sticking and the car not warming up properly.)

So out came my comedy swiss cheesed airbox! This will get replaced in due time.

IMGP4375.jpg

Although I discovered on the inside... K&N Panel Filter!

IMGP4379.jpg

After draiing the coolant and moving some ancillaries - thrermostat access achieved! Swapped the unti over and reconnected everything. I then filled up the coolant, bled it and did the usuals. Car definitley seems to warm up more quickly and temp sits where it should now - so glad I did it. My research leads me to believe that the MB suffers more from temperature related issues than the other model Honda's i've owned! (must be the Rover in it :sn****r:)

IMGP4381.jpg

So whilst bleeding the coolant I also decided to fit my old 3 point Benen strut I rescued from my coupe. Pretty much a straight fit - but engine bay still in dire need of a clean - not good with hosepipe bans in effect. Defintley recommend it as a mod though - front end seems much more solid than with the OEM flimsy 2-point brace.

IMGP4382.jpg

At this point my good friend "Cheby" came to lend a hand. We went to swap out the roof mounted speakers and discovered that they had been held in by hopes and dreams! :o Unfortunately my Alpine type-r's have too deep a manget to fit in the roof so we had to resrot to the Pioneers. They aren't the best, but they'll do for now. We ended up using some MDF spacer rings and mounting those to the metal work in the roof under the roof lining, then screwing the speakers to those. A much firmer and secure fitting than the previous owners efforts. We honestly have no idea how he got them to stay up!

IMGP4383.jpg

Next was to sort the gearstick out. Unfortunately I got pipped to the post on a shortsifter so that will have to wait for another day. And thanks to some numpty cross threading the two screws in the armrest console, I couldn't change the gear gaitor! But the OEM Leather Dildo was removed and a nice weighted shift knob put in its place. We also took this opportunity to replace the pollen filter (although Euro Car Parts gave me the wrong filter first time round!) and swapped out the crappy Philips head unit for my Alpine one, and gave the inrerior a quick tickle!

IMGP4390.jpg

The back seats honestly look like they've never been sat in :|

IMGP4391.jpg

Pushchair friendly boot!

IMGP4392.jpg

Moving to the outside - swapped the manky orange sidelights over for some crystal clears (+ new bulbs)

IMGP4386.jpg

De-tangoed the rear lights with some silvatec bulbs (although sods law - one arrived faulty!) The old ones had had it! Also took the opportuniy to clean up behind the rear light clusters.

Before

IMGP4388.jpg

Manky bulb vs Silvatec bulb

IMGP4387.jpg

New bulb in and de-tangoed goodness.

IMGP4389.jpg

At this point I decided to have the arch protectors (or rust spreaders as they should be known!) off and check the arches. Pleasently surprised to say they are original and rot free! Although i do still need to have the sideskirts off to clean behind, things look OK on the rust front for now. We also gave the wheels a spruce up with some Purple Rain wheel cleaner from Autobright as they were thoroughly disgusting - previous owner obviously not big on cleaning!

IMGP4393.jpg

After that, time was really against us - we gave it a quick clean and tried debadging the rear. Unfortunately the badges seemd to take some paint with them when removed (although extent of the damage is still TBC, it looks to be very minor. We also noticed the paint was INCREDIBLY dull. Once we get a chance to really attack it with the cleaning products I am sure it will look a different car.

Still more bits to fit, but time and camera battery ran out for today.

More updates soon hopefully. :)