Loud gearbox in MB3. Please help

vtec2011

Hi there.. So its been over a year now a had my MB3 Civic and its a great car. The only problem is the gearbox, its getting louder in 1st and 2nd gear (very annoying) I have seen a lot of people over the internet saying its the input shaft bearings which is a common fault. I am starting to have a look around for another gearbox and it would be ideal if I can get the same one in the Civic now (1.5 vtec-e D15Z8 MB3). Will a D14 or D16 gearbox fit? These are the only one's I can find on Ebay and other sites at the moment. I did go scrappy but there aren't any Civic's there. Or should I just repair the noisy gearbox in the Civic now? Or new gearbox oil/additives might make it quieter? I dunno where to start! banghead.gif1

Any help or suggestions would be great? Thanks for reading :)

I forgot to mention what the gearbox sounds like in 1st and 2nd gear. It almost sounds like a grinding or scraping noise.. Or sounds a bit like a thrust bearing but only a lot louder. And is it easy to remove the gearbox if I wanted to fix it? Cheers

Sounds like gearbox to me as i have the same on my ee9 , its the input shaft bearings , If you put your foot down in 1st and then let off you it get louder like somethings grinding . if it does no amount of new gear oil will sort it out .

Rich.

Sounds like gearbox to me as i have the same on my ee9 , its the input shaft bearings , If you put your foot down in 1st and then let off you it get louder like somethings grinding . if it does no amount of new gear oil will sort it out .

Rich.

When my Civic is idling it makes that grinding noise. But if you push the clutch pedal in the noise goes away. Its a lot louder when driving in 1st and 2nd gear. But it isn't so loud in 3rd, 4th and 5th. Yesterday I checked the gearbox oil and that seems fine. I also took it to a garage and matey said its the thrust bearing.. no help there haha. Hopefully I can get it sorted soon :roll: