Magnetic Sump Plugs....

WilkesyMB6

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

M=metric, 14=major diameter of thread, thread pitch is 1.5mm which is standard metric fine for an M14. Any standard M14 fine bolt will fit & a bit of instant gasket (silcone) helps a treat for sealing without risking over torquing/stripping. As for the magnet, that eBay one from HK looks worrying; magnetic materials are very brittle & after time & loads of heat cycles that big long protruding magnet could shatter - my opinion anyway. You will get the same effect by sticking a hefty Neodymium 'super' magnet (3-5kg holding; 20mm dia 3mm disc should do it) to the outside of the oil filter - these are a few quid & this method puts all the gunk & bits where you want it! You can buy magnetic oil filter sleeves, but these are £30-ish.

• 3 months later...

last service i put on the magnetic sump plug bought off ebay for around a tenner. this service unbolted it and the magnet behind it just snapped and landed in my hand. Thank F*** it didnt happen while the car was running... anyway lesson here. dont put the shiny blue one off ebay. couldve been disastrous.