Play in steering

steveolkinevel

Right set out last week to change the steering rack as ive loads of play in my steering, about a 1/2 inch to an inch each way!!! Any way as i was unbolting the universal joint on the column i caught the steering wheel with my shoulder and noticed that the joint didnt move ?? So i put a pair od mole grips on the column just above the UJ and stood on them so in affect the wheel cannot be turned, but it still has the play!!?? Im now confused as i thought the column was one solid piece,

does any one Know what can wear in the column itsself as i cant see any thing at all with movement!?

Help

^ + maby it was in a crash and not repaired the colum

after andrew said about the collapsible column i twigged, when i bought the car the air bag light was on and there was/is a scrape on the near side front bumper, its also had a wing and head light and the edge of the wing mirror was cracked, all is straight underneith so no structual damage, if there air bag is activated would the affect the column? :?

not sure how they work may be a micro switch that connects on calapse, if so may be that :idea:

have word with kink may have further info as he just removed dash :idea:

• 1 month later...

nothing fancy on the colum, no switches.

reason ive ended up here though is i also have a bit of slop in the streering.

think ive tracked mine down to inner rod ends.

good luck sorting yours.