Brake lights on all the time

Dexter

I failed my MOT a few days ago for a couple of reasons, one of which was that my brake lights are on all the time. Hadn't noticed it before, strange. Any ideas? My guess is a faulty brake light switch so maybe i'll start with replacing that but other suggestions are welcome. The switch is somewhere above the brake pedal, right?

Right before the MOT i drove around the block for almost 15 minutes doing pretty hard braking to remove the rust that had covered my rear discs because the car had sat practically immobile for 2 months, so maybe that triggered the problem? :?

• 2 weeks later...

Okay i replaced the switch but it didn't help. To be more specific, when the lights are turned on, the brake lights are on all the time. If lights are switched off, the brake lights only lit up when the pedal is depressed.

Any ideas what to try next?

Thanks Krzys. Checked the tail lights, all cables looked ok. Removed also the brake light bulbs and checked the bulbholders, looked normal. Removed high mounted brake light and checked it, looked fine.

:?::?::?:

Okay... so the thing is that yours truly had some wrong bulbs in. blush.gif1

But strangest this is that it's been many months since i replaced the old ones, and no-one before the MOT ever mentioned or noticed that my brake lights are on all the time? But main thing is that the problem got solved, even though i can't remember when was the last time felt so facepalmed. :D