FYI - my VTI-S with MGZS 180 suspension with UPDATED DC2 FRO

Jimmer

Since there was a lot of different posts regarding this suspension upgrade which i have always been wanting to do. I bought a set of shocks and springs which apparently came out of a 2004 Mgzs 180 V6 with 42k on the clock from CW dismantlers on Ebay, and seem to be one of the few that recieved the correct units for £80 delivered to Northern Ireland so to say I was relieved and happy was an understatement lol.

Anyway onto the fitting of them. It is a relatively easy job to do yourself with the right tools an some research so you know what way to do it. Do be aware if you use the car everyday, some bolts, etc could be ceased as I found when removing the rear passenger upper control arm bolt to let the hub, etc drop more to make more room to remove the shock. Basically the bolt snapped as it was ceased inside the bush, to be honest not a major problem but if you have to use the car to drive to work the next day then it could be, so worth remembering need to purchase replacement parts if needs be.

After fitting, I noticed a huge difference as most people also say, although my original shocks were s**gged so I was always gonna notice a big difference. The ride is a lot stiffer especially the front, but not too stiff that its uncomfortable, as I use the car everyday on all sorts of roads. I had chosen this route of suspension for that reason because I didn't want to put lowering springs in and have a "decked" car which bounced around, and if you have the same opinion, I urge you to make the same change. There is now very little roll on the car also and I haven't even fitted an ARB yet.

Enough rambling lol, here is some pics of before and after from some different angles.

Standard VTI-S shocks and springs front

2012-07-28130447.jpg

Standard MGZS 180 V6 shocks and springs front

2012-08-09211634.jpg

Standard VTI-S shocks and springs rear

2012-07-28130455.jpg

Standard MGZS 180 V6 shocks and springs rear

2012-08-09211641.jpg

Standard VTI-S shocks and springs side shot

2011-10-29161232.jpg

Standard MGZS 180 V6 shocks and springs side shot

2012-08-09211427.jpg

Let me know what you all think.

I have been thinking about changing the front springs for the Mgzs 120 1.8l as the weights would be closer between it and my VTI-S as they are both 1.8's. I do think the front is so stiff for that reason, and why the back has lowered more than the front. I noticed when changing shocks, that the MGZS ones were 20 ish mm shorter front and back so you would expect front and rear to drop the same, but since the V6 front springs are the same spring rate as diesel MGZS's then it makes sense to match the springs for the relative weights of the cars by fitting the 1.8 version ones. Does that make sense to anyone lol?

Anyway, im gonna stop going on lol, I would like to know your opinions on this post and let me know if it helps your decisions or views on this subject cause it is something I was looking at a lot before I took the decision to do it and thought I would share my experience lol.

:D

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome thread mate. By looking at your photos I can say I have the same drop despite having a MB3. Mine looks like this:

P1140509.jpg

Two years ago someone on the forum said that ZS 120 springs are the same as MB6 so we should use ZS 180, that's why I got mine but this theory is wrong. I'm looking to buy ZS 120 springs for the front but no ZS's in Bulgaria and no springs for sale in ebay :/ For now I don't want to buy complete shocks with springs. I think MB's with zs120 setup will be perfect :)

Also I don't have patient to try swapping the upper wishbones like ZS's to see what will be the effect but I'm still scared I will mess something out :D

p.s. What does FYI mean ?

Excellent, after the recent problems experienced by some members it's good to read about a success. :)

Glad you're happy, nice subtle drop you have. Bolts in the rears always seem to seize and snap best bet is to soak them in WD40 the day before you plan to swap them out and have some shiny new bolts ready as well. :D

FYI Emil - it means For Your Information. ;)

I had the bolts all soaked in wd40 twice a day for a few days but i suppose wd40 can only do so much lol.

But i think the best thing to check when you get the shocks an springs is check that the springs have the right colours on them then your laughin.

I bought the 180 set up for the same reason emzvr, but now unsure if there is a difference in the MGZS 120 and 180 set up, I have heard the later 180 set up was a last ditched attempt from MG to improve the car to sell better and instead of re-designing the suspension, they went to Bilstein to make the shocks, and Eibach to make the springs for the car, but how true this is i have no idea lol. Im happy so makes no odds to me now lol. But I will look into the 120 springs for the front and will update if and when I change them.

Well today I was a bit bored, and decided I would swap in the Front DC2 shocks and springs to see what they would be in comparison to standard VTI-S units and the MGZS 180 units.

I got a bit of a shock lol, excuse the pun but I really did, they made the car sit a lot lower at the front, to be honest lower than I would have liked normally, but for the 10 miles I've done so far, they seem a lot better, nowhere near as stiff and suprisingly good match up to the MGZS rears lol. And since they are also standard units, they seem to be a lot more comfortable than the MGZS ones but far better handling than the standard VTI-S ones lol. And possibly the MGZS ones, but maybe im just getting excited haha.

Anyways here is a wee pic of how she sits now

2012-08-12183422.jpg

Could be the new combo of choice for MB6's unless someone can point out a flaw with this set up lol??

If they fit and you're happy, then it's definitely a win. :D

Be nice to see a pic on level ground to see how much higher back is than front as the front looks a fair bit lower than before. :idea::D

yeah mate the front really is a good bit lower, in the pic the car is just is gear so this is the way it looks on level ground as well lol.

But it really does ride a lot better lol, so will see over the coming weeks how it is on all roads.