Volvo and VW content

fridazadilak

Hey!

I put a post up of my freshly acquired MC2 Aerodeck along with my Volvo, and I've still not managed to get some decent photos of the Aerodeck so here's some photos of my '88 VW Polo mk2 - (excuse the rat look...I was into that a few years ago!!)

Mods include:

Lowered 80/60

Custom stainless exhaust

P-slot wheels (from mk1 Golf)

08052010620.jpg

24042010570.jpg

And here's my '93 Volvo 240. Mods include:

Coilovers (around a 3"+ drop from standard)

Round headlight flat hood swap from a '76 240

Modified 16x7 steel wheels to lower the offset to fit

Stainless exhaust

It's currently in pieces receiving an upgrade from the B200F 2 litre engine to a modified B230FT 2.3 turbo engine. Power as standard is 111bhp, and I'm shooting for 200bhp for now.

After that, the mods will include:

Fixing the steering geometry issues caused by excessive lowering

Upgraded brakes

LSD diff

Larger throttle body

Larger air mass meter

3" straight through exhaust

Larger injectors...the list continues!

When I first got it:

IMAG0481.jpg

After cut springs:

301217_2495112940947_1884170458_n_zps7df493fe.jpg

Front end swap (the wings and bonnet were all brown so the white wings is just a quick rattle can job):

DSC_4409.jpg

Comparison of old and new front springs:

IMG_20120219_130056.jpg

New 16x7 steels to go on - gonna get the rears banded with 2" bands:

IMG-20121028-WA0002.jpg

As it stands now:

IMG_20120511_183346_zps077ccbd2.jpg

How the engine bay currently looks:

IMG_20121204_204744.jpg

I made a monumental c**k-up and bought a turbo engine off ebay. I got a "mate" who owns a local custom garage to fit it which originally was quoted at £200...then it rose to £560. The head needed skimming due to excessive corrosion and when it was eventually fired up it was only firing on 3 cylinders, so the head came back off, the engine came out and the pistons, rings and cylinders were all found to be completely fubared. All this process took 2 months of the garage d**king around stalling, so eventually I cut my losses, recovered the car home and decided I'll do the work myself. I'm no mechanic but with the amount of research I've done to figure it all out I reckon it shouldn't be too hard. Gonna get a known to be good engine in the new year and it'll be back on the road.

So for now I'm sticking with the Honda. And before you ask...I don't know why I love grandad style estate cars!!

Dan

Mr Brown - Yeah I do love the older style front end, I think the round lights break up lines a bit.

Tom - my friend is currently fitting a t5 engine from an 850 into a 240...I think it's the first in the UK if I'm not mistaken. Mine doesn't have the 7 seat conversion in the boot, but I would've removed it anyway because they weigh a ton! It was pretty slow...but the new engine will certainly liven things up!

im liking the polo and the volvo is something else! you dont see many of them modified and the front end swap looks like it is a must! really like what you have done with it so far and looking forward to more updates, i seem to be going through a phase now where i love old grandad estate cars :lol:

Tom - No it's still going to be RWD, he's hooking it up to an M90 gearbox out of a late Volvo 940, it's the strongest box Volvo made.

Fyfie - cheers...I'll keep the updates coming when I get the new engine! Unfortunately I'll probably have more updates on the Volvo than the Honda...gotta have at least one reliable family car, the wife and 2 yr old have had enough of bussing it!

It seems strange that they fit a strut brace but no ARBs. Are the MG ARBs just bolt on? Also, just to pick your brains, my MC2 scrapes at the rear when I mount curbs/go over speedbumps etc...sounds like plastic scraping. It's almost like the wheels are fouling the rear arches. Anyone ever encountered that?

It seems strange that they fit a strut brace but no ARBs. Are the MG ARBs just bolt on? Also, just to pick your brains, my MC2 scrapes at the rear when I mount curbs/go over speedbumps etc...sounds like plastic scraping. It's almost like the wheels are fouling the rear arches. Anyone ever encountered that?

It has a front ARB, just not one at the rear whereas the MB6 does have a rear one as standard but get an MG one not an MB as MB drop links are as good as chocolate fireguards. :)

Are you sure the scraping is at the rear, have a look around for loose plastic under the car and in the wheelarches.