k20 Civic Aerodeck (newbie question)

mike84

Hi I am proud to say I have just purchased my first aerodeck which is the 1.8vti mc2 model although it is nippy enough I can't leave it alone. :)

I have been looking into a turbo conversion on the b18 and after more thought a k20 conversion crossed my mind was wondering if anyone has come across a k20 converted aerodeck or if it is even possible ?

Also am I correct in thinking that a mc2 aerodeck is based on the EG civic suspension/subframe so correct me if I am wrong would a k20 conversion mounts for the EG work ?

Any thoughts and ideas appreciated

Cheers :D

Cost loads to do a k20 loads of work pound for bhp would be turbo . Yes it fits eg but not as simple as that you would have to custom the mounts on one side . The list is big and for half if not less than that you could turbo the 1.8 and get more bhp :D;)

Thanks for the replys :D

So basically a k20 would fit but power per buck would be best to stick a turbo on the b18 however this leads me to my next question .

As the car has done 110'000 miles leads me to think it would be best to give the engine a freshen up before boosting it or has anyone on here had joy boosting a higher mileaged b18 :?

This is how the k20 conversion popped into my head as after refreshing the b18 money wise could flog on the complete b18 and gearbox and buy a lower mileaged k20 . I know there would be alot more work and extras but I like to be different WACK11111

Could anyone confirm what mount would need custom made and as to what is diffrent to the eg ?

Cheers once again

Me and my crazy maybe even stupid ideas :roll:

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the club :)

I looked at K swap and H2B on my Aerodeck. K swap can be done with one of the EG swap packages, but no one I spoke to was sure if the power steering pump would fit under the bonnet (I would lose the belt driven pump anyway and go with an electric unit). I watched my local garage do a K swap on an EH with the same problem.

Cost is one problem, B18C4 is worth 1/3 of the K lump plus you need all the gear linkage conversion, gearbox, driveshafts, wiring, mounts and custom parts to fit it all in. H-Tuned do a good guide to the main parts you need and is worth a look (free download).

H2B is cheaper, and there are a few H22A7 units kicking around eBay etc. Easier to do as the H series spins in the same direction as the B but I've heard rumours (not confirmed) that the angle the engine end up at in the engine bay can mean oil starvation when driven hard. You may be able to overcome this with a baffled sump but I don't honestly know. I also believe you can use your original gearbox, linkages and drive shafts with this with a bell housing adapter.

Going turbo/supercharged B18 is the cheapest and easiest route and has been done on so many cars there is plenty of info out there. With any build I would 110% recommend an engine refresh (head gasket, all seals, water pump, belts etc.). I've seen B18's pull 300bhp with no problems on a properly built engine, and the stock box is pretty strong if properly maintained. If it were me going boosted though I'd go Eagle con rods and Cosworth or Crowler pistons with a girdled crank (B18C6), but I'm fussy :lol:

Anything is possible, depends on your pockets and patience! I've even seen a supercharged small block V8 Chevy engine crammed into an MX-5! If you do go K20 it'll be one hell of a project [smitten.gif]

Dave

Cheers delasoul very informative and interesting never thought of a h22 conversion

Has anyone done a h22 conversion on this forum ? :D

Looked a bit deeper into a h22 conversion but can only seem to find a gearbox adapter plates from the states.

Unless anyone knows of uk suppliers or more info on this conversion ?

Cheers mb2 everyone's input is appreciated :D

Know there is more ideas floating about my head WACK11111

H22A7 swap....best bang for buck. Use the ATR gearbox, and an M factory shorter final drive. Ive done a couple of H22 MB's, felt really good to drive. K20 is do-able and Ive done that too but the jump in cost is massive, your talking going from 3500 for a drive in-drive out H22A7 swap to double that for a basic standard K20....

If moneys no object k20 with a rotex charger, bhp wise the sky is your limit,

Iirc ricky at race-tech turbod his deck with 180kish on the clock and ran it at 400bhp without any problems,

The b18c4 is probably the hardest engine ive come across, all it asks for is regular services and good oil, i used to do mine every 6-8k miles, for about £35 for decent oil and filter its rude not to. Its also a very easy engine to work on.