advice on knocking price down on a civic please :)

nathan123487

tommorow im going to look at a civic... ultimately buy it... the guy has it up for just under 1600 pounds its on 63k fsh .... very tidy looking from the photos..

however me and brother checked and he said its worth about 1400 trade ( it is a trade sale) ... how am i going to get the price down to around 1300 / 1400

ive never negotiated on price when purchasing a car before , so i dont know what lines to use to get the seller on my side etc ... hes probably already fixed the heater resisitors (lol) .. i think the only thing on my side here is the fact hes over priced it.. the fact its got a cassette player and the fact i have to do a 300 mile round trip to see it.... but ultimately he could just turn around and say well you new the price before you came.

any advice on this would be much appreciated :)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

with it being such a long trip for you it does make it harder for you to be more ruthless.

I'd say, offer him 1300 and say take it or leave it.

The trip wont make a difference to hime, private seller it might (chap drove from isle of wight so i let him have £50 off the price for my vti-s).

What car is it anyway? 1600 is VTI-S money and thats good condition VTI-S with low miles

To get near that money it would have to be an absolutely mint low miles vti-s MC2. If the seller realises you know these cars and what you're looking for (and therefore are likely to give a quick clean sale) they'll be keen to do a deal; he's probably had a few tyre kickers round already messing him about.

That's very overpriced, if it's the one above it's clean and tidy but they're just not worth that much, can't you find any cheaper closer to home.

If you definitely want that one don't be sold on the mileage being low it just doesn't matter that much, find everything slightly wrong with the car or that you will probably replace and knock that cost off, act interested but not overly keen, take cash and I wouldn't pay more than a grand for it.