screws under handbrake

fyfie5

right guys ive just got myself a vti armrest as such for my mb2 and the 2 screws under the handbrake are super tight and i cant get them undone :( i was wondering if anyone knew if they went right through underneath the car so could be rusted on the end? if so i could cut the rusted end off and it would come out easier! as at the moment if i do manage to make it turn its only a 1/4 of a turn then its to tight again, tried most of the tricks in the book but if anyone wants to give me anything to try ill give it a go :) thanks

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pozidrive no2 socket attachment (though I think they may be Phillips no2 from memory). They do go right through which is the problem, I had to drill them out on the old MA8 as the heads came straight off. If the heads do come off remove the plastics and you may be able to shift them with WD40, heat and mole grips.

how do you go about drilling them out? and the full head just came clean off? :o

Centre punch on the exposed part of the bolt (a hard nail will probably do it) then use a HSS drill bit (smaller than the threads a 3 or 4mm is probably what you want in this case). Go fairly slowly with a fair amount of pressure (be careful HSS drills tend to snap easily) use WD40 to stop it getting too hot. The heat from drilling though sometimes helps loosen the bolt.

You can replace them with the Rover item which is better and has a proper bolt head believe it or not :o .