looking to the dutch...

philgor

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-22350776 i had this bought to my attention on a trucking forum, and thought i bring it on here as we have a few member's on here who do cycle including my self, and first impression's from the video, are, look's alright, does need more uk style marking's such as zebra crossing zig zag's and light's but i'm sure they'll be sorted...

then this poped in to my head,

wzL0Kyk4m-8

ere no i will not be using them if a truck uses them, the truck will not see a cyclest untill they have hit them....

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

very true, they need to be zebra crossing, for a motorist to stop when needed, still the thought of a hgv using them, it's all gonna end in tear's, when anything with a large blind spot (like in the video above) kill's some one...

Motorists barely give way to each other at roundabouts! The problem here is that UK driving a Dutch driving styles are very different! The Dutch are so much more relaxed, not to mention their cycle road network was purpose built so the people have always known to expect cyclists whereas here, roads are for cars and cyclists have only recently started to use it more so our attitude is vastly different!

It could work here, but it'll never have the success the Dutch have with it, driving styles are just too different and as Phil said, the first HGV to get across that will probably take a few cyclists with it!

My last point is cyclists here seem to think they are owed something given they don't contribute to the road network.....then again paying road tax doesn't seem to have the desired effect either but that's another rant! :lol:

I agree, they need to paint the cycle crossing parts in a zebra crossing style, so cans know to give way. [smash.gif]

i think it's gonna need more than a zebra crossing, (watch the video in the first post) it's gonna want toucan crossing with high level light's mounted for truck, and what the betting where the dividing area between the road and path is gonna be filled with plant's and shrubbery so you can't see them [smash.gif]...

To be fair you make a good point Tom, I've looked into cycling to work on my QMC days (5 miles each way) but because it's main roads and I know how the people (who are largely idiots!) drive in Notts I'm nearly 100% sure I'd become road kill! Plus the roads just weren't designed to accomodate both cars and bikes! They worry me when filtering through traffic and half the time there's no signal at all when they decide to suddenly change direction. Luckily for them I'm one of the more observant and respectful drivers but sometimes they do take the p1ss!

Call it what you want, it's a tax I have to pay to have a car on the road which you'd expect to then be spent on said roads, government shananigans and all that jazz!

Why should I pay more than those who drive such gay cars when i'm out on my bike? which release less than the above (unless ive had beans) :)

:lol: :lol: epic!

Now this is going to pi55 a few people off but hay.. My view... Cyclists in my are are the bug bear of my life! Cant stand them! On my way to work there is a perfectly good cycle path that goes all the way to the site were thousands of people work, but 80% of the cyclist insist on riding on the road.... Why? Theres nothing wrong with the cycle path, the amount of accidents that nearly happen every day is unreal, most of the vehicles are mini buses and coaches so why are they riding on the road and a quarter of the way into the lane by the way, when they could be nice and safe on the smooth tarmac path thats about 8meters away but along side the road? I am soo tempted to buy a paintball gun and fill it with marbels if it carries on. :evil:

Does any of the cyclist on here do this? If so why? Is it a thing that you find funny to annoy the motorist?

Someone please answer this......

Why should I pay more than those who drive such gay cars when i'm out on my bike? which release less than the above (unless ive had beans) :)

:lol: :lol: epic!

Good rant wasn't it :lol:

I did laugh at that comment too!

"Tree hugging" cars should be banned! :lol:

Are there lots of pedestrian zombies (if it's a shared use path)?

Headphone wearing pedestrians who can not hear you coming and don't walk on the correct side of the path or wander around all over it. You are supposed to cycle on the left and walk on the right, just like walking in a road and no body seems to know that! [smash.gif]

I use a shared path on my QMC walks and I've seen it loads where other people are just in the wrong place. But I've also seen it where two or three cyclists straddle the whole path, which is fine if they would move into single file to allow you room to pass, which most of the time these few people don't forcing people to try and get out of their way, next to a dual carriageway with a 50mph speedlimit, not clever! [smash.gif]

But there's bad behavior everywhere you look to be fair!