MC2 Not Starting... First no spark, now no fuel?

streaky

HI Boys and girls,

I need some help I am afraid as we have a perplexing issue. 

Car in question is a 1999 MC2 Aerodeck VTi

We had a starting issue approximately 5 weeks ago - car would try to turn over but wouldn't fire. Even a push start was no good (but had fuel as could smell it coming from the exhaust.) After some simple tests we decided it was ignition related as the spark seemed very weak. I replaced the dizzy cap, rotor arm and ignition coil as leads all seemed OK and the plugs only about a year old. Put her back together, started first time.

Now last week we went to start it and it wouldn't fire - similar symptoms. Car would turn over but not ignite. We figured maybe the coil was a duff one (Euro's finest) so swapped it under warranty, inspected everything and all looked well, spark was strong but STILL not starting. Then we realised the fuel pump wasn't priming when turning the ignition on. We investigated further, checked fuses etc and the fuel cut-off switch hidden behind the dash. Everything seemed to be in order. At least we confirmed the ignition was not at fault and it was a lack of fuel causing the issue.

We got to the point of removing the cover form the fuel pump to test some voltages - we had voltage on the connector but not at the top of the pump. Just about to order a new fuel pump when I thought "lets just try the spare key" and lo and behold we started first time!

Car has been running fine all week until today - we now seem to have the same issue. Fuel pump is not priming upon ignition "on" and as such not starting. I have a new pump on order but wondered if anyone else had any suggestions!? I don't really want to have to remove the pump if i can avoid it!

Any help graciously received. 

:)

Neither key working now. I did think it may be immobilizer related last week after swapping keys solved the problem.

Couple of friends in the know suggest it might be the main PGM-FI relay - which also crossed my mind especially with the heat we've been having lately. My haynes manual isn't much helpa s it seems to be mainly integra/crv based. Can anyone tell me where to find it please? :) 

According to the workshop manual it's in the under dash fuse box and should be bottom right.

Manual is available under the downloads tab at the top of the page.

Thanks NIK.

OK got the relay, was just under the fuse box as you said. No obvious signs of wear or issues with the solder connects on the back but its being resoldered as we speak... Shame no one nearby I can try swapping with!

I should add that since the issues last week BOTH keys have successfully been used in the car. I am going to try euro's for a main relay tomorrow but doubt they will stock one.