Reasons for CO emissions being high?

FlorayG

I just had a new distributor fitted cos my TDC sensor was bu**ered. I've been driving like a girl for about 4 weeks previous to this as I knew my car wasn't well. Now it runs just fine again but while I was in the garage i had the emissions checked and the CO is waaay high. I've got several possible reasons does anyone have any informed opinion please;

1) everything is just clogged up due to the TDC fault and it will get better now that is fixed (hope hope hope)

2) my cat is no good - how can I test this? It's an aftermarket one. Fitted just prior to last year's MOT

3) my mechanic thinks it's the Osensor but how do I check this? Should it show up as an engine management fault?(because that light has gone out at last)

Anything else it might be?

MOT in 4 weeks

Thanks

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An emissions test would tell you if the CAT was buggered but I doubt after just one year it would be unless something else has caused it. Probably take it for a few decent runs to clear it all out and stretch her legs too! See how you get on!

I would say sensor has gone as normally when cat is faulty all emmisions readings are mile too high normaly.

Plus the smell they make too! Eggy!  

I would say O2 sensor! Prob the original one. If u brought a cat last yeah prob not that but I have heard them fail a year later b4

Would a fault in the Osensor show as an engine management light on? (I think I already asked this...)

Cos there is no light on now, so if so then it can't be that?

If it is the Oand that doesn't show up as a dash light then how can I be sure? Don't want to spend money I don't need to