Civic EG DX 1.3 ignition

Magnus O.

Hi all,

Yes, I know this is only MA/MB/MC-series, but I realised there live some experts here which will certainly know the answer on my question.

I've been looking for an ignition for an experiment; this ignition should have been ECU-controlled, just like my MB-series ignition.

Unfortunately, the guy from who I bought it sent me an ignition from an EG; I knew that, but didn't know it came from an EG DX (which has a D13B2 engine); and this engine has an (electric) carburator...!! The EG I used to own (D15B2) has fuel injection, so also ECU-controlled ignition. Before buying this item I wasn't aware it came from an EG DX 1.3, and also checked on our Dutch forum to confirm EG's use ECU-controlled ignition - no one realised there's also the 1.3 carburated engine, from which I now got the ignition...!!

To be short: my experiment consists of a pulse generator, which was meant to mimic the ECU's ignition control signal - this connected to any Honda ECU-controlled ignition (like MB series) would then allow me to generate sparks - which I need for my experiment (plus it has to be as close to real life sparks in a car during driving as possible).

The ignition which I now got (D4w90-03 4103 is the type nr on the side) only has two wires, and according to the electrical sheet which I found this is only the 12V supply and the tachometer return... I opened it op and saw it has some kind of extra rotating 4-blade thing below the rotor, which remind me about the old contactors used in classic carburators. This is called a reluctor and stator I've learned now. It even has a mechanical 'ignition delayer/advancer' based on vacuum...!

The circuit also explains it has a ignition control unit, which is driven by this 4-blade fin/rotor thing which slightly touches two terminals when rotating (they seem magnetic). The ignition control unit on his turn switches the primary coil.

Now my question is: How does this particular ignition control unit work?

Is it a transistor like in the more recent Ignition Control Modules, controlled by a small voltage from the magnetic reluctor/stator?

I.e. does the rotating 4-blade thing generate some kind of low voltage pulse, which may be identical to the ECU pulse in a more recent ignition, which on its turn drives a transistor to switch the higher-current voltage powering the primary coil?

I need to be able to let my pulse generator drive this ignition, like I would drive the more recent ignitions which are ECU-controlled. The pulse generator (like the ECU does too) can only generate low voltage low current signals (upto 15V max if necessary, but low amps - so just signalling)

I do hope so!!! Otherwise this ignition is useless for my experiment...

Thank you so much for your input!

Hm, not much replies :) Let me otherwise rephrase the question with the info I now have:

How much volt would a magnetic pickup (reluctor / stator) generator towards the Igniter Unit?

I expect this to be minimal; somewhere on the web I read in the range of 50 mV to 200 mV (0.2V), do you reckon this is correct, or can I apply a higher voltage when I want to mimic this signal towards the Igniter Unit?

Nice then :) Just the one EG model which doesn't have ECU-controlled fuel injected engine, and I got that ignition :)

But, yesterday I applied 'surgery' to the thing, and found the reluctor / contactor; disassembled further, until I got the Igniter Unit, which has a coil where the axis of the reluctor rotates through - I opened this coil up and was lucky to find the terminals where the coil connects to. These will then be the terminals where I have to apply a minimum voltage pulse to, in order to trigger a spark. I can't see why this wouldn't work :) One thing though is that the voltage will have to be very little.