Smell of burnt oil and slight smoke from engine?

burbleboy

I have noticed recently that after a 'hard' run there is the distinctive burnt, dry oil smell. There appears to be no smoke from the exhaust (in mirrors when accelerating hard) and on further investigation i discovered the x4 rocker cover spark plug seals were letting some oil into the spark plug area. I changed them within days, the oil cleared up but smell still there. I noticed a small haze of smoke when i stop...as if coming from the engine. I have no visable leaks though...any ideas to point me in the right direction please?

Alastair

Aaah! The sump gasket was leaking slightly so I will get it on the ramps and see...as its obviously got worse! I checked the round seal at camshaft (as one came in the kit) but it was dry.

Thanks mate

I have had a similar problem, smelt like oil dripping on my exhaust with no visible leak, i also had blue smoke from exhaust when dropping out of vtec. I read up that the PCV valve can sometimes cause the smoke from the exhaust. I left my car at my mates while i was away offshore and he had a look at the PCV valve, it fell apart when he took the hose off it. He got a new one off ebay and fitted it. The blue smoke seems to have gone and there is not oil smell anymore. The flap in the old valve was sticking and i reckon oil was dripping from it on to my exhaust. See the link below for cleaning the PCV, the picture is the PCV that came off my car.

http://h-tune.co.uk/tech/?p=547

received_m_mid_1382891898034_ed64183f6c7

Traced my oil leak to n/s driveshaft seal. Theres oil along driveshaft and on gear linkage boot. £10 from honda for the seal....just the MTF oil thats feckin expensive.....as i changed the gearbox oil not that long ago **sighs and head in hands**

Thanks Simpo for pointing me in the right direction :grin:

Also thanks to VTEye for the effort to help out. Appreciated guys

• Like 1

U should of said I had that seal somewhere as I brought both as mine was leaking from o/s , saying that trying to find it could be a mission. Least it's sorted now