humming noise from rear

aerodeckcrewser

I've had a strange humming noise for a couple of months now, coming from the rear righthandside wheel area. It gets louder the faster i go, and has gotten a bit louder over time. I have winter tires on so they're loud to start with, but i tried on a toyo r888 and the noise didn't change. Don't think it's a caliper starting to bind, because i reckon that would create some heat? Can't be exhaust either cause then the note would change depending on revs, not speed.

So i guess it's a bearing on it's way out, what do you think? Any other things i could check before ordering a new one?

Lift it off the ground and get a hold of the wheel on each side and shake it and then top and bottom and shake it again, if the wheel moves then it'll be the bearing.

• Like 1

Lift it off the ground and get a hold of the wheel on each side and shake it and then top and bottom and shake it again, if the wheel moves then it'll be the bearing.

Sure enough when holding the wheel at top and bottom and shaking it, there is a tiny amount of play. Just a bit, but noticable, compared to the other side. So i guess this is confirmed then! Thanx krzys.

• Like 1

Do i need anything else than 42200-S30-C11 (BEARING ASSY., RR. HUB UNIT) to get this done? http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection.php?block_01=17S1E01&block_02=B__1910&block_03=7801

A friend who's got the tools and skills for this will do it so i just need to gather all the necessary parts.