Rear Disc Brake Advice

Butcher

Need to fit some new pads to the rear tomorrow. Last fitted them maybe a year and a half ago and one is down to the bone (making horrendous noises!). Done maybe 15k miles (Halfords pads). I haven't done a full check yet, but I'm expecting this one to be worn significantly more than the others. 

From what I've read on here, the rear pistons are prone to seizing? But are they also setup like the front, with the sliding pins, and if these are causing any problems, they can be serviced DIY? Otherwise if pistons are causing problems it's new calliper time? Correct?

I have noticed a slight heat emanating from the disc before when I've checked after a drive, but not noticed anything major, so I'm hoping a quick clean-up will sort it out, but posing the questions on here so I can build a better idea of what I should be looking for. 

Yeah there on sliders which can stick. The piston problem is down to the handbrake mechanism usually.

The bearing in on the handbrake arm seizes up.

So have a look while your there. See if when you engage and release handbrake the lever on the caliper is moving.

Cool. My handbrake probably has the strength of a week old baby. I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing. Obviously it's a terrible thing when I want to use it, but for my callipers I mean...

Will try what you suggested. 

The heat shield. Is it needed? The bottom bolt snapped, with the remainder still stuck in there, so it'll be a right pain in the arse to get it back on properly. Only held on by the top bolt at the moment, so it's just flapping about. 

Anyway. Handbrake mechanism seems to be working. Outside pad was down to the metal. Inside pad still nearly new, and the disc was rusting on the inside, it's evident that it hasn't been working at all on that side recently. The pads were stuck firm, and the inside I had to be a bit forceful with a hammer to get it out, so polished up the shims and cleaned some corrosion on the callipers and the new pads slid in easily (hoping that was the only issue). Sliders seem fine. Though a bit exposed so I cleaned and greased them anyway. 

One down. One to go. 

Sorted now ... I hope. 

Got in to test it out, bed the brakes in etc, starter motor didn't engage. Just spun freely. Thought OK, that's probably a one off. Tried again. Same  :eek:

Mild panic. Much frustration, having been working on the car all weekend to now find this!

Rocked car in gear, gave the starter motor a good bashing, pushed it up and down the street to try and bump it ... only to realise that the starter was engaging again it just wasn't starting (flooded I assume). At what point the starter started working again (I honestly hadn't realised - all I knew was I was turning the key and it wasn't starting), I don't know, but probably well before I finished pushing it around the street knowing my luck. 

Anyway, eventually got it fired up, just as the battery was breathing it last breath. Quite lucky there  8-)

Little bit worried about the starter now. It was white with frost outside all day, so maybe the cold? But perhaps it's time to find a new one?

Anyways. Brakes are all sorted. Little bit of judder I noticed. I forgot to put the backing plates on (oops). I remember last time I left them off one because I couldn't squeeze them in with the new pads, even with the piston all the way back. And they were fine, but then the pads were practically wedged in. They have a lot more room to move now.  

Might be a one off. Was the immobiliser light flashing?

I know a few people including myself had a intermittent problem where key wasn't recognised by immobiliser. Then all of a sudden it was fine