Spark plugs

Grant

Now I don't pretend to be a know it, in fact I know very little about this topic.

But there have been numerous replies from knowledgeable people that have commented on threads, thought it might be a good idea to try n get it one place and perhaps make it a sticky!

I think the age old questions are standard or iridium??

And brand, denso or NGK ??

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Standard for me! Despite what people think iridium plugs are less conductive than a standard plug. They are designed to last really a long time maintenance free. Yet people spend 40 quid on them and still change them after say 5000 miles.

If your after a performance plug silver is the way to go.

Personally I like cheap and cheerful ngk. Never had any issues over many cars and 8 quid a set!!

Standard for me! Despite what people think iridium plugs are less conductive than a standard plug. They are designed to last really a long time maintenance free. Yet people spend 40 quid on them and still change them after say 5000 miles.

If your after a performance plug silver is the way to go.

Personally I like cheap and cheerful ngk. Never had any issues over many cars and 8 quid a set!!

This is almost my mind set to be honest. Change them every 8-10 and keep the cheapo's

Having said that, if Toms last 4 years, there's no difference!

Performance wise, it's all placebo's isn't it!?! Wouldn't actually feel any different. May well run smoother.

I have denso irridium as well, felt much smoother after I changed them but I swapped to magnecor leads at the same time so it may have been those or it may be a placebo.

Having said that somebody was saying the other day that the tips can break and burn through the piston, I've not seen evidence to support this though.

I'm pretty sure I saw that thread as well. One of the reasons for this thread!

Would've thought that there a slight chance of that with all spark plugs???

That's what I thought, I can't believe irridiums are more prone to it than any other. 

That's what I thought, I can't believe irridiums are more prone to it than any other.

And like you said, never heard of horror stories.

I'm just putting together my Opie oils order now :-D

• Like 1