Civic mb6 economy BOOORRIIINNGGG (Yawn)

Civicnige

ive seen a thread about economy on here before but my civic was doing well i averaged 185 miles from £30 (35mpg) last week with the occasional vtec but this week ive got 100 miles from £25 (23mpg) could this because my exhaust back box it ruined or something else? i have ordered a catback so shall i wait untill i get that on?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't even tried to figure out the economy on mine.  When I last took any notice I think I got around 270 miles to a full tank which I'm thinking is high 20s.  Back then I only had a 2.5" decat system and my 5Zigen back box.

23mpg is pretty poor though.  I wonder if it's something else mechanically causing the issue?  You weren't doing lots of short journeys even?

A drastic change from 35mpg to 23mpg without a change of driving style suggests improper calculations or a bad baseline.

More likely a bad baseline.  :wink:

The only true way to measure MPG is to brim the tank and measure a couple times.

For example, in my old car £20 got me a solid 150 miles. Sometimes I could get 170miles if I really pushed my luck. Calculating the MPG then would have equalled around 50mpg at 130.9p per litre.

However if I filled up again just £20 I would have likely only got 120-130 miles before being on the red, equalling what seems to be a measly 38MPG.

Average MPGs are a better way of working :)

For what it's worth I average 30MPG in the MB6 with regular VTEC.

What exhaust work did you get done?  Anything to do with the Lambda sensor?  I wonder if it's telling the car to over-fuel to compensate?  I'd have thought that would throw and engine management light though.

Also something like a dodgy coolant sensor can affect mpg, but you'd notice issues with your temperature gauge and the fans always being on, even when the engine is cold.

Are you filling the tank each time or just letting the needle get down to roughly the same position and banging some fuel in. Unless your filling right up and doing the calculations I wouldnt say your results will be accurate. Ive seen times where ive threw in money at points where id feel the needle was sitting prevously yet the reading have been massively different. Also need to consider factors like driving style, town driving or not weather etc. 

Try filling your tank, do 100 miles then go back to fuel station and see if it takes £25 to fill back up.

• Like 1