Using oil

Dougie

Ok guys, any suggestions on the usual culprits for oil use? I've got a slight leak in the rocker gasket but I don't think it would account for how fast the oil level is dropping. Any ideas?

There's no oil on the ground, some times it looks like there might be a very slight puff of smoke when I boot it but only if I take it right to the red line, and even then it's not always and it could be my imagination

There's no oil on the ground, some times it looks like there might be a very slight puff of smoke when I boot it but only if I take it right to the red line, and even then it's not always and it could be my imagination

'Employ' a friend to follow you and check! 

Oh and recently it's starting to smell a bit like burning oil now and then which makes me think it might be the rocker gasket leaking onto something hot

Oh and recently it's starting to smell a bit like burning oil now and then which makes me think it might be the rocker gasket leaking onto something hot

Possibly dripping on mani then. Any idea how much you're losing? Not unheard of for these to use a litre every 1k miles.

well i did a full oil change 2 weeks ago and after a drive home from inverness and some pottering about the city over the last 2 weeks it had dropped about a liter.... i would guess thats between 3 and 4 hundred miles, not sure exactly though