Doors

pjrzn

Hi Guys just a quick one I'm changing my doors and I'm just wondering how do I go buy with the central locking and power windows? Do I need to transfer everything to the new door or I can use what's in it? What do I need to take into consideration first and what will be the all time pain in the arse?

Thanks in advance 

If you're swapping one Civic door for one off another M it'll a straight unplug of the electrics, can't say it'll be the same if it's a Rover/MG door as I'm not familiar with the electrical side of those.

As above should be straight swop over as long as your Swopping it for a door that has power windows central locking etc.

What about the door locks do u have to change the barrel over as well or is it a rear door

That's a good point actually, I would say you'd need to swap the barrel over if it's a front door otherwise your key won't fit if you needed to use it.

I changed the passenger rear door on mine not long back, not a bad job to do.

you need the car jack with a rag,

small screw driver's

pliers

hammer

sure it's a 13mm socket and ratchet.

open the said door,

now take the hammer, and hit the door check strap pin upward's (use the pliers to hold the top of the pin to stop it disappearing)

the door has a multi plug fitted, at the door, if you peal the rubber boot back you'll see the plug and latch to undo it. (its a little bitch to do and find...)

now support the end of the door with the jack covered with a rag, jack it up till it's supporting it.

this is where you do need a second person, slacken all 4 door bolts, get the second person to hold the door, and remove all 4 bolt's, and lift the door away.

as per haynes manual, reverse the action's to reassemble.

tip's on refitting the door.

pay careful attention to the door fitment before you remove it. it'll help you line up the new door.

support the end of the door with the jack set up to support old door, and loosely line up the door with the paint mark's.

put all the bolt's in and hand tighten them, then nip 2 up with a ratchet. 

shut the door and see what need's to happen, remember the door hinge's can do 3 direction's of travel, up/down in/out and tilt as well.

only adjust one hinge at a time, so say the door need's to go in, loosen the top hinge push in and tighten then do the same with the bottom, 

if it's too high or low, use the jack to adjust the door, remember to put the jack in a center of the door.

hope it help's

• Like 3

did this month's ago, and never even thought to take photo's, sorry lad's just hoped to give a bit of an insight in to what to do as the haynes manual say's naff all about door's....