boosting with td04L

Mcd16

Hey guys. I know this is either a hit or miss subject, people talking as if the questioner knows nothing so just a head up.

I am a qualified mechanic. So please speak in mechanical d

terms and not "dumbed" down :P ok.

breaking my volvo lately and thought... what would actually be needed to run the td04 L turbo. Have read alround and seen you can run safe boost to 175 on stock inners. Lets put this aside just want to focus on what I would need to boost ad a start. Inners can be changed later on.

so im thinking.

Turbo

exhaust elbow

exhaust manifold

standalone ecu

upgraded fuel pump and injectors

intercooler

piping

possibly a fcd depending on standalone?

driveshafts from b series

stiffer mounts (torsional movement cancellation)

Beefier brakes

and of corse.. the car ;)

would this be the basic boost list? Would love the deck boosted as itll be different and icve got a hks filter, some spare piping I could alter, the turbo, could reuse volvo intercooler some way or another, 240cc injectors and walbro 255lph pump. I dont need a terrible amount extra, just want some knowledge on if its cost effective at the stage I am part wise and worth it. Remember, Internals will get upgraded in the future if more power was wanted. Id also run a cooler engine temp to keep heat wear facture down. Thanks guys :)

depends how quick you want it done if i'm honest mate :/ you got the D16W4 in yours ye? if so that should take up to about 200 ish from what i've heard, but don't quote me on that! ha ha

what size brakes you looking at getting and wheels your wanting to run, if you want to stick with 4x100 wheels, use MG ZR 2.5l brake discs as there the same as MB6 size, get some MB6 calipers and carriers, grind down the inner lip and it'll fit straight on :)

with the list you have there mate i think thats the basics, but i'm looking into doing this myself aswel.

oil feed line from the sump?? maybe an oil sandwich plate and cooler? FPR?

I take it by fcd you mean a fuel cut off? Not seen many set ups with one tbh.

You'll obv need an actuator/wastegate of some sort too.

Possibly a BOV as well, depending whether you want it really.

And of course, the big hidden cost here is mapping. Usually around £300.

@beastgtir has a very good point, although there are many ppl that have DIY kits and they run well.

Turbos got the actuator and dump Valve is an Internal :) oil feed shouldnt be too bad to do. And yeah mate fuel cut defender. Its a considerable thought which needs more thought atm lol

Like i said not heard of many using it i dont think ..

Turbo wont have a BOV .. Will have an internal WG that'll regulate pressue between Mani & Turb .. But a BOV regulates pressure post turbo, closer to the inlet the better ..