MB6 won't start, fuel pump and ignition working....

supertwisted

Question

So rather embarrassingly I broke down a couple of miles from home this week, loss of power and then died, refused to start after that.

After getting towed home I've started checking the obvious things. Spark is present on dizzy coil and at plugs and fuel pump is running (sprayed petrol all over my engine bay checking that one!) so we have fuel and ignition. Could it still be the dizzy if I'm getting ignition on the plugs? Spark looks strong to my eye, should at least try and fire up if nothing else.

I recent changed the thermostat if that is relevant, checked the plug and ground attached to the thermostat body and both seem fine.

Can see cams turning through oil filler cap.

All other electrics working fine, no dead fuses.

I thought crank position sensor but can't find where it is. Any other suggestions?

Cheers for all the help folks.

Bit of an update... Have had dizzy apart, tested impedance on dizzy coil and it's within spec (0.7 on primary and 15k on secondary). Just to be clear, the dizzy coil and plugs ARE sparking.

Also put noid lights on injectors and they are firing correctly, along with fuel pump running, so fuel is def going in.

Given that I'm getting a spark on all my plugs and dizzy coil is within spec, is a new dizzy likely to be the answer...?

Hmmmm this is a strange one if it's sparking and fueling!

What about air, have you checked the filter? It's the only thing left that I can think of as far as what a car needs to run.

Yep its getting air, pulled the air box off to check.

Its not flooded, has been left several days at a time between attempts to fix it and Ive pulled fuel pump fuse and cranked it over to clear the cylinders.

I'd do a compression test but need to order a tester.

Wondering if its skipped a tooth on the belt and the timing is off.

Would still try a Dizzy swap=ignitor under load may be failing and may be a delaying spark or pick up <cam position sensor delaying  problem>.

swap with another forum members distributor and eliminate :idea:

also tried the dizzy wire connector plugs for breakages