MB6 won't start, fuel pump and ignition working....

supertwisted

Question

So rather embarrassingly I broke down a couple of miles from home this week, loss of power and then died, refused to start after that.

After getting towed home I've started checking the obvious things. Spark is present on dizzy coil and at plugs and fuel pump is running (sprayed petrol all over my engine bay checking that one!) so we have fuel and ignition. Could it still be the dizzy if I'm getting ignition on the plugs? Spark looks strong to my eye, should at least try and fire up if nothing else.

I recent changed the thermostat if that is relevant, checked the plug and ground attached to the thermostat body and both seem fine.

Can see cams turning through oil filler cap.

All other electrics working fine, no dead fuses.

I thought crank position sensor but can't find where it is. Any other suggestions?

Cheers Noodles. Forgot to mention I've changed the relay, tried that before towing it home, and its got fuel and ignition so def not that.

Can it still be the dizzy if I'm getting a spark though? Suppose the spark could be weak, but I'd expect it to at least ignite a couple of banks when cranking over even if it doesn't fully start.

Have you checked the spark plugs themselves?

Could possibly be that the spark isn't strong enough? Might be worth changing the cap and rota arm on the dizzy to rule them out. Could still be the igniter or coil in the dizzy.

Is the engine management light coming on mate? I gather engine is turning over fine, just wont actually start? When it went, did it drive perfect before hand and then suddenly just die? How long before you got it started, and then how long before it went the second time? If you have the engine management light on, I'd suggest the ignitor in the dizzy has gone. Only way to repair is either a new one (£300 from Honda) or a replacement used dizzy. DON'T buy an ignitor other than a genuine Honda one, as I found out the hard way! Pattern ones may be cheaper, but they last a week if your lucky, then you have forked out £125 for nothing! lol I had to get the genuine Honda one after two failed after market ones, so all in a costly repair!

If it is that thats wrong, then best bet is probably to see our trade breakers for a replacement one or a replacement dizzy ;-)

Hopefully, it isnt that thats gone!

Thanks guys.  Pulled all the plugs this morning, cleaned them up as they were a bit fuel fouled, tested them with my multimeter and they are all reading around 4.5k so look good to me.

Engine management light is off.  I shorted out the 2 pin connector anyway, but the light didn't blink so there are no codes stored.

Dave - yes engine is turning over fine, just no start.  Was driving back from doctors when it started to lose power intermittantly on gear changes (so when coming off the throttle), carried on another 500 yards or so, then it died.  Started once after that, for all of 5 seconds, then it was all over.

Found a chap breaking an MB6 who I asked about a dizzy, but he's since sold the whole car so will have to look again.

At the moment my list of suspects is dizzy, crank sensor and ECU.  Looks like I'll be taking the wife's car to work tomorrow!

It's the coil inside the distributor. It's not sending a spark. Common on b series hondas now. Two options: cheapest one is borrow and fit another dizzy and see if runs. Or replace the coil inside your existing one.