All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Yesterday
  2. 15yrs ago today, I bought "Vanessa", my 1999 Pirate's Black MB6 VTi. She is currently displaying 133k+ of mileage, just over 67k of that has been done by me over the time I have owned her. I awaited for this anniversary moment to come around before I chose to take the step I am now taking here before you now. It is with a heavy heart that I reluctantly today announce that I am now selling "Vanessa". This is an unhappy time for me now to do this, but I can't help but feel the time for me to move on has come. The reason I am selling her is she's becoming a classic in her own right, as all of our Mk6 Civics are. She's starting to show the signs of being an older car, and with the fact I cannot garage her, I think she's deserving of being given the chance of proper preservation and refurbishment in a manner that I do not have the space or time to give her. She's been my every day trusted workhorse for all this time, and she's never let me down. She turns on the key no problem every time, even after sitting for weeks without being used. I have complete trust in her reliability, so much so that I wouldn't hesitate to drive her from Rugby to my parents house in Edinburgh tomorrow if the need arose. She's complete, and as original as she was the way I bought her on May 20th 2004, save for maintenance and repair replacements along the way. Coming from a classic car owning background, I know that original is best, as it is what most people want to see from a car the older it gets, especially if they're in view of purchasing it! Everything on her also works. You name it; it works. The things notably needing attention, are mostly cosmetic, like surface rust and bubbling paint in a couple of locations, but there are a couple of more in depth requirements to get her up to mark: 1. She's in need of a new windscreen (the current one has a crack in it, but it is not an MOT failure at the current state. I know this, because she's been through her previous MOT in 2018 with this crack in place and it wasn't even given advisory notice.) 2. During March, when I was jacking her up for some inspection underneath, the nearside rear jacking point tore away at the sill, leaving a rusted hole behind. This is now in need of being welded to make good again. Currently, in this state, this will most likely will be an MOT failure. Her MOT expires on September 12th 2019. It was due to this latest development which got me thinking that perhaps it was time for me to move on, but also due to certain components becoming harder to get a hold of for these cars, I am now thinking that she is getting into classic car ownership territory, and also a bit of an ongoing road worthy project. I am not against such efforts, but the truth is, I already have two other cars which are deemed classics, and this leads me to neither having the space or the time for a third project, especially considering I'd have no choice but to keep her outside. I have lots of photos of "Vanessa" which have been taken over the past couple of weeks, although I've only attached a few of these here due to limitations of space and time to upload all at once, so if there is any other photos anyone would like to see, you only need ask, and I can post further pictures up here to order. Being such a long time owner of the vehicle, I have an extensive history recorded against her 15 year long time with me which takes the form of receipts and spreadsheet records showing what was done, when, and with what parts and at what mileage etc. I've tried to be as comprehensive as possible in keeping my records, since I'm used to thinking this way with being in the classic car owning realm for many years. I also have a small stock of spare parts which I've bought over the years. Some of these I am willing to throw in with the sale. Others I will be selling separately over time unless an agreement comes through for these to be purchased along with the car. I am advertising here because with other like minded enthusiasts of these cars being here, my hope is that "Vanessa" will find herself in a good home and go on to prosper into the future instead of being taken apart for her material parts. I love the thought of finding myself at a classic car show in the future and bumping into her again, displayed in all her original glory rather than her just being another MB6 which has been disassembled and scrapped. I can only hope and wish. Here's a small sample of some of the more major service descriptions for "Vanessa" over the past number of years: Cam/timing belt changed twice under my ownership New thermostat fitted All four shock absorbers replaced Gearbox overhaul, reconditioned with a few new bearings and driveshafts etc Track rod ends replaced Complete new clutch components, including disc, pressure plate, release and pilot bearings Front and rear stabiliser drop down links replaced as well as trailing arm bushes Upper control arms on front suspension replaced New engine radiator fitted New mid section exhaust with silencer fitted ("Vanessa" has a stainless PowerFlow backbox, which produces a nice subtle rumble exhaust note) "Vanessa" has always been serviced with quality parts including engine oil, regular clutch and brake fluid replacements and filters. She has four very good conditioned tyres on her, still with plenty of tread remaining on each. Good to go for years yet. On top of servicing, "Vanessa" has always been fed with high octane super fuel rather than premium unleaded. Better mpg, and continual condition of engine running as a result. Since I began my fuel log records in January 2012, she's averaged 32.23mpg, which is an average of £0.18 per mile. I am looking for £2,000 for "Vanessa" in her current condition. If she doesn't sell, then I will be getting the welding done myself, but of course then I will be looking for more when it comes to re-advertising. Personally, I think there is a lot of car here and accompanying history to go along with her for the money I am asking. I think she's a great example of a potential future classic VTi. I hope you agree. Now on to some photos...
  3. Dave

Daves Mazda MX5 Mk1 (aka Mindy)

Thanks Ali. Yeah was nice to meet up with another enthusiast of the mx5, specially the mk1. Met Robin a few times but hes usually in his mk2.5 so first time seeing this mk1. Correct on the lowering, Eunos is on Koni street kit. Mine is on brand new oem spec suspension. Forgot to add the pics of Mindys interior as that's had a nice upgrade that i forgot to post up!
  4. burbleboy

Nice pics! Nice your able to meet up with another forum member and chat about cars etc over a cuppa! Incidentally, does Eunos have lowered suspension compared to yours? Looks lower if still on standard set up
  5. Dave

Sooooo, went out with Mindy today as had a wee meet arranged with one of the members from mx5oc.co.uk (Robin). He had just got his Eunos back on the road after a lot of time, work and money spent bringing it back from the risk of being scrapped to an absolute stunner! Met over in South Queensferry, Down by the Forth Rail Bridge. It was too busy there for a wee photoshoot, so we headed over to the marina. Had a passenger ride in Robins mx5 and that thing can shift! It's a 1.8 auto, but being the Eunos import the box has sports mode and it really makes a difference! The whole car has had a body rebuild and also all the chassis/suspension replaced with brand new (inc wishbones etc) so feels really nice (and looks really nice underneath too!). We had a coffee and a good long chat in between the photos, so really nice day. Weather was really overcast (hence some of the photos being slightly dark) but no rain. By the time I got home, the bloody sun had come out! Typical!. Anyways, Mindy enjoyed the run and meeting up with her playmate (she's already met Robins wifes MK2.5 MX5 Sport) and we had some American tourist lady come over to us to talk about the mx5's! So all good! Here's some of the photos. Hope you likey!
  6. Last week
  7. dmrichards

Dan's Blue Vti Aerodeck

Had a mate detail the aerodeck the day before mimms and its come up really well. Makes me want to keep it the original colour. Also got some dc2 black recaros. I can just about fit in the bloody things
  8. dmrichards

Aerodeck vti breaking

I do still have the front lip but in keeping the skirts. Message me a offer if you want?
  9. Spotted a clean civic mb in pirates black. Different alloys and was a Y reg so one of the last ones. Had a bit of fun with it on the Gladsmuir to Haddington road (I was in my MX5). Anyone from here?
  10. Spotted in Aldi car park. Red aerodeck, lowered, white alloys, exhaust, looked really sweet. Reg was NLP. Deffo sure this was a civic5 car before, looks really familiar.
  11. Kaptin

Aerodeck vti breaking

Front VTI-S lip sold? Possibly side skirts too depending on price?
  12. It's been a long road but definitely worth your efforts and perseverence Dougie.....it's now time to enjoy your MB6
  13. Gel

Vtis project

Excellent news jake .........you must be proud as punch having the official seal of approval (MOT).
  14. Dave

Vtis project

Awesome news mate! Hope you said hi to Rich and the guys at Dynodaze for us. Shes looking amazing, must be great to be able to drive her again.
  15. Perfect bud, i'll send you a pm with my number as think its changed since last time i saw you.
  16. Dougie

Dougies 2-Tone sicilian/pirate MB6

Sounds good! I'm away this weekend but any time after that I'll be around if you want to pop in and say hi (I dont get home from work till about half 6 though)
  17. KiNK43

how to replace ABS pump

It's easy enough to replace. Only bleeding the brakes afterwards can be a pain. The pump is held onto the chassis leg with few bolts. One wiring connector to come off and obviously the brake lines.
  18. Dave

ABS Modulator -urgent replacement

Welcome to the club. To be honest you are probably better sourcing one second hand as i believe Honda may charge a fortune for one. Try giving our trader Naz (10000RPM) a message as he may be able to help you out. Naz has decent prices and always helpful. @10000rpm
  19. Were away on hols in June but thinking maybe July or August? Man I'm in Dalkeith every day, work there! Was brought up there too! Need to hook up soon so I can see your MB6 in the metal mate!
  20. KiNK43

Vtis project

MOT passed. I'm on the road.
  21. Gel

ABS Modulator -urgent replacement

Hi and welcome to Civic5 Anna, our Trader 1000rpm should have the ABS box of tricks you need.....dmrichards scrapped an aerodeck recently so he may have what you require. @1000rpm @dmrichards Good luck with the repair.
  22. anna

how to replace ABS pump

any advice ? have a civic areodeck, just had diagnostic for a replacement abs pump. honda part 57110-s1a-e01 or Bosch 0265216650 alternative part number Bosch 265216649 or 0273004356.
  23. eBay but quoting this part and I dont get it this may 1998 HONDA CIVIC 1.4 ABS PUMP + ECU KN1 D260209 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1998-HONDA-CIVIC-1-4-ABS-PUMP-ECU-KN1-D260209/323749034147#vi-ilComp part probably correct and with the wires have a civic areodeck, just had diagnostic for a replacement abs pump. honda part 57110-s1a-e01 or Bosch 0265216650 alternative part number Bosch 265216649 or 0273004356.
  24. have a civic areodeck, just had diagnostic for a replacement abs pump. honda part 57110-s1a-e01 or Bosch 0265216650 alternative part number Bosch 265216649 or 0273004356.
  1. Load more activity