Honda Civic 1.8 aerodeck 2000 won't start.

Guest Jonathan Grey

Question

Guest Jonathan Grey

car had started 3 times that day already. stopped for fuel, engine turned over but wouldn't fire.rescue service believed it to be a starting part in distributor. Purchased brand new distributor, won't start. there is no on board diagnostic point which doesn't help a great deal. Honda have suggested the Fuel Injection Control Relay situated under steering column.

Love my Honda,, just put 4 new tyres on & serviced. Does anyone have any ideas why the old boy won't start? Be grateful for any suggestions.

thanks

5 answers to this question

Was it the entire distributor you replaced or just the cap?

Main relay which you mentioned is another potential cause.

Its a bit annoying because even though these do have OBD (Onboard diagnostic) ports, without it throwing a light up there's no codes to read.

Try taking the fuel line off where it meets the injector rail and have someone crank the engine and you'll either see fuel coming out (be sure to catch it in a container!) or you won't. That'll give you an idea what to start checking next. If fuel comes out, it's probably ignition related (Plugs, leads etc).

• Like 1

Guest Jonathan Grey

many thanks for that.

it was the entire distributor.

Honda main dealer suggested that the onboard diagnostic port was situated in the passenger foot well behind a plastic cover, that is if the vehicle had one. My garage cannot find one at all!!!

Will pass on your comments, again many thanks for responding

There is a port it's a little blue 2 pin connector. Can bridge it and read codes via the engine management light.

as far as I'm aware even with an adapter cable. The ecu isn't really compatible with obd2 code readers.

• Like 1

On 11-6-2015 at 2:32 PM, Guest Jonathan Grey said:

car had started 3 times that day already. stopped for fuel, engine turned over but wouldn't fire.rescue service believed it to be a starting part in distributor. Purchased brand new distributor, won't start. there is no on board diagnostic point which doesn't help a great deal. Honda have suggested the Fuel Injection Control Relay situated under steering column.

Love my Honda,, just put 4 new tyres on & serviced. Does anyone have any ideas why the old boy won't start? Be grateful for any suggestions.

thanks

Hi.

Is there any follow-up.

Did it start in the end and what was the culprit?

I have a 99 mc2 with the same issue.