Jimbobs VTiS

Guest jimbob738

Not great on the stuttering issues mate. When you say no compression, what was it down to?

Rebuild sounds good :)

130 psi from 200psi, wet tested it and it help @ 210 psi, was gutted after spending £200 that week on new bits I just didn't want or think to accept that it could be anything more serious.

more fool me I suppose.

I don't think any of us would want to be spending more money that we have to on fixing problems mate. My brakes are a prime example, I didn't want to be doing anything with them but I've had to sort them out and decided I might as well do the lot so I'm not revisiting it in a years time or whatever.

Guest jimbob738

lots of hard work is going into this. hope to see some real bad a$$Ery from this one.

I am going to speak to a machine shop sometime next week and see what pistons I could accommodate wanting to use these: 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171307535682?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

not bothered about forged pistons but some nice new high comp ones would be nice ( don't run before you can walk).

Guest jimbob738

I don't think any of us would want to be spending more money that we have to on fixing problems mate. My brakes are a prime example, I didn't want to be doing anything with them but I've had to sort them out and decided I might as well do the lot so I'm not revisiting it in a years time or whatever.

if your gonna do it - do it right mate I suppose brakes are a pain when you get started ( my brother says do it nice, do it twice) which is right if it isn't hard graft you probably done it wrong and you will end up doing it all over again in a few weeks.

I had that situation before I sold my camper was a ball ache.

• Like 1

Guest jimbob738

I think it was 170 when the rest were over 200 or something like that, does say in the thread but haven't got it to hand.

Yeah it started at 170 psi and steady dropped to 130psi was what I always suspected since when I first got it I changed the plugs and looked into cylinder one and thought that don't look right.

you live and learn I suppose I will get it running better this time round.

Guest jimbob738

Good to see you sticking with it jim!

What can I say I love the B-Series Honda engines and I cant afford a type r integra so what ya gonna do ay ?

if you were closer Tom I would comp test it for you.

• Like 1

Guest jimbob738

Interested in watching how the engine build goes. I'm going to have a go at rebuilding my smokey engine eventually. I know it was a while ago but when you done the RTA bushes, what ones did you order? Do they do mb specific ones? And where did you buy them?

Good luck with the build

The rear Arm bushes where Hard Race from the company of the same name on Ebay, very good bushes I first bought powerflex ones but got warned they aren't too good so bought them, not had any issues with the rear handling is all I can say very nice and not too stiff.

Someone asked about the avid mounts STAY AWAY FROM AVID MOUNTS!!!!! they are awful rattle you car to sh1t, they are now in a co-op bag in the shed I used inserts with new mounts much much much better I will picture them on engine rebuild, dramatically stops lifting on acceleration and makes power delivery feel like its going to the wheels not loosing motion through rocking the block.

avid ones are designed for 1000bhp drag cars who lets face it don't car if the chasis shakes like Stevie Wonder.

Guest jimbob738

Thanks mate, I still have it just not been in my hands for a year so I let things slip (company cars are the devil maaaaaaan), I cant wait to get it back to a good standard and with the missus actually on my side with it for once I might get somewhere.

• 1 month later...
Guest jimbob738

OK Small update, shortly after I thought I had engine misfire troubles I took it off the road and bought a Volvo V70 to tide me over while I bought myself some thinking time.

I had a short break enjoyed my 30th birthday with a long weekend in Cormwall at the Eden Project, came back and had a think..........surely a car on 100 thousand cant be knackered especially a honda?

so I got hold of another compression tester and a timing strobe light and check the dizzy timing and the compression again........all OK so the first tester I used must have been faulty.

I have fitted a new sump gasket as I was loosing oil all over the road outside my house, i have cleaned all the coolent and now its sitting on my brothers drive.

i have done some further reading and a lot of my issues point to the MAP sensor being faulty so i took a trip to Albert Looms in Derby and got a MAP sensor of a 2.2 DOHC prelude fitted it and guess what no more over fuelling or hesitation fitted it Monday morning took it for quick blast was all good but still felt like the ignition wasn't correct.

so i borrowed my bros HT leads swapped em for mine and it ran sweeeeeet..........

so moving forwards I need some new HT leads, need to change my clutch for the new boxed Genuine Honda one i got and the slave cylinder, check the TPS sensor and im going to change all the intake gaskets and clean it out.

when this is all done i am going to look at sorting my suspension out and need two new front tyres before September.

• Like 2