sprung a leak!

Rookie88

Today it has been hammering it down with rain and ever since I bought the car at the top of the passengers side A pillar it always gets soaking wet but haven't had the time of yet to find out if its the door seal or windscreen not sealed, but driving along today n the wife got a wet leg :/ it was dripping down behind the glove box! Has anyone else had this? N if so whats the fix lol?

Yeah man. Windscreen leaking seems pretty common on these. Also known people have some crap buildup under the scuttle panel where air gets drawn in for the heater. Causes water to get in

My driver A pillar used to get wet.

I lifted the roof strip and found the underneath had a crack letting moisture in. A semi permanent fix was to clean it up nicely and then squirt clear silicone in and around then squish the roof strip back on.

Bone dry a year later.

• 2 weeks later...

They do tend to get leaks in the top corners of the windscreen as they get older. I found that it depends on where you park! Park on a perfectly level bit of ground, its fine.................any kind of uneven ground and they leak! Seems to be that the bond round the screen deterioates, and can create a gap for water to get in. The gap can be tiny, and with my MA8 1.4 civic, I found that the cars shell actually flexes a tiny bit when parked on uneven ground, just enough to make the gap big enough to let water in. It's hard to tell, but one thing I noticed that was the sound when closing the passenger door (depending on the ground it was parked on) changed, sounded like the door hinge had dropped slightly. Parked on flat ground, everything was fine! If it is that there's two cures......

Permenant cure is to get a new windscreen fitted.  Second cure is to remove all the plastic trim around it and try and re-seal it with silicon or something similar. ;-)

Thanks for the advice dave, but mine was the same problem as skymera, I took of the n/s roof strip n the windscreen cowling, cleaned it up n saw a hairline crack goin along the top of the windscreen n branching off up towards where the roof trims fit, so I used black exterior gutter sealant, let it dry n you cant even tell I put it there as it drys the same colour as the windscreen sealant :) but most importantly its stoped leaking, I put the hose on it n not even a little bit damp inside :) happy days thanks for all your help guys.

• 2 months later...