Ignition Timing - How to set accurately?

Shaddow

Question

Hi,

After a recent distributor destruction, I have fitted a new part and want to set timing.

I followed instruction when fitting distributor to first make sure engine in TDC for Cylinder 1. To help me see the mark on the pulley wheel, I used a paint pen.

Part fitted and car drives ok.

Using a light gun I connect it all up and can only see the white mark I placed on the TDC mark, not the "red" mark that is bit further across on the pulley wheel.

Also, due to engine mount in the way, it is difficult to ensure the timing mark "red mark" is fully aligned to the marker on the block.

With the diagnostic 2 pin plug shorted together (as per Haynes instruction), engine start and with light gun the white mark seems to be stationary, but again, impossible to align with anything.

Anyone recommend how to best set the timing? Also any recommended degree of advancing the timing?

Thanks 

6 answers to this question

Tour going about it the right way. A decent timing light will make the job easier. Some lights just don't show up well.

16 degrees +/-2 is usual. If you try advance slightly the ECU will just try correct it soon as you pull the link out of the 2 pin connector.

Timing Light I have is a Darper 52616 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0001K9V3Q?ref_=pe_1909131_77697001_tnp_email_TE_AMZLdp_1)

No issue in seeing the white mark I made in the notch for TDC. The required "RED" notch that is 10+mm over to the left just needs a new bit of red paint pen touched to it for visibility.

My issue is that I am not able to align the notch to the marking on the case due to very restrictive access. (Engine mount getting in the way).

Anyone recommend a way to line up the red marker to the notch?

KiNK43, if the ECU will just compensate as soon as the bridge is removed from the 2 pin connector, why is there any adjustment required at all? (ECU limit on correction?)

What engine we talking about? B18?

I've never had an issue lining it up if so. You can see straight down it standing at the front of the vehicle looking down toward pulley.

The ECU can compensate to small amounts.

But ultimately should be set mechanically to allow the engine to start. And also to give the ECU a base to work off.