knock when i break

size15feet

hi all , i have noticed then i put my foot down there is a slight 2 knocks and when i jump on the brakes the same happen, it was in for its mot this week nothing came up on that. there is no play on any bushes at all, mot tester said i have got to live with it can any one help

(passanger side)

Exhaust making contact with chassis somewhere? Can you pinpoint where the sounds coming from roughly. Might help to have someone in the car with you to help track it down.Passenger side would suggest it at least isnt coming from the gearbox. Poss CV joint starting to go, although that usually makes the noise on full lock.Strange it didnt show at mot though :roll:

Could be rubbish make pads moving in the carrier if they are a little on the small side, do you know what make pads you have? Or sounds like anti-roll bar drop links maybe, but that should have at least been an advisory on the test, however the front links are harder to test than the rears. Or the bushes on the actual roll bar, that may not be picked up on an MOT, can you give us any more info, does it knock when you are going along, or only when you apply the brakes? Does it do it once then thats it, or everytime? Does it do it once, then again when you reverse? :?:

• 6 months later...

just found this thread, but i got same problem.

one thing i did notice with front end jacked. there seems to be a bit of play in the diff when you turn a wheel.

could this be problem or is it normal? cant find anything else wong

i can sympathise though very annoying.

Ditto. Same problem here. Had it a whole year now, done 12000 miles. No adverse effects on handling.

The only crap thing I have now is that there is a clicking sound on the same side as the "knocking" when on full lock. Presume that is CV joint? Also there is a smell of burning rubber.

It's always dark when I get home from work, so I'll have to wait until the weekend, but can anyone shed any light on whether it is likely to be the CV joint? Any help is appreciated.

yep same here.

i get the clicking too at full lock. only faintly, and also burning rubber smell coming through heaters.

thought i was paranoid but can smell too. strange.

• 1 month later...

for any one who cares now, i have solved the problem in mine.

new pads and carriers (again!) as there was some play.

and front anti roll bar drop links cured the knock when turning/ pulling off etc.

feels like a new car! woop woop

Archived