I F**king love cars (also talk me out of a D16 Turbo?)

Finch

So over the past few weeks I've been planning, buying parts and building a K24 / K20A2 Hybrid block. The plan was to swap it in a few months time when I moved to my new deployment and didn't need to use the car for regular motorway miles so could have it off the road for a few weeks. I started buying parts a few months back; ARP bolts and studs, OEM gasket (5 layer), Hasport EG/DC2 Mounts, Hybrid racing shifter, mount and cables, Insane 1000hp rated shafts, KTuned water pump, thermo and pulley kit, a K24 Accord TypeS 6 speed (came with K24), Had planned to start building the block in the near future with cams, valvestrain kit, rywire harness and bottom end stuff too but then Life got in the way.

Friday night we found out we're having a baby, so on Saturday I made a gutwrenching decision that as we'll be needing more space than we had planned initially that the engine was not a massive priority and £4-5k worth parts could probably go a long way towards a few things. I stuck an advert up on one of the plethora of honda pages on FB and within minutes had people prodding and poking and trying to vulture parts out of the job lot until a guy less than 15miles away piped up that he'd collect in 2 hours.. I sat there waiting, a gangly 6ft something asian chap pulled up and emerged from a black EG Coupe on Rota grids turned up.. we had a quick chat showed him all the stuff, We loaded the stuff into the (already slammed) EG boot and stood talking on the driveway and came to the point of turbos after he saw the 6266 turbo lying on the workbench. A few minutes of jabbering went by and we got to the point of a D16 turbo build popped up, I explained I had owned an EK coupe with D16z6 turbo in the past and he showed me a tonne of pictures, videos and posts on a (hidden) Facebook group of guys who meet up on every second Wednesday at a garage on an industrial estate to have a natter, help each other out and just meet mates. Something that reminded me of being back at uni where our group of mates did the very same. Which is one reason I've been building a web-project which will be revealed later on....

We got talking and I pretty much started planning another D16 turbo build right then and there. Nothing crazy just a 1.6 non-vtec turbo running about 0.75bar with a few essentials; ACL Bearings, ARP Rods, OE Gaskets, Supertech valve kit and bisimoto cam.. maybe Eagle rods and vitara pistons while I'm there too.. 450cc DSM injectors, SARD FPR, AEM rail, ramhorn equal length manifold and a T3 Turbo. Aimed at around 250hp on a budget... My brain is screaming do it and the money is burning a hole.. Help!

• Like 1

The web project I've been working on is a social media platform not-unlike Facebook; but solely aimed at car people. I realised a long time ago I really dont talk to anyone except car people and family, having a platform where all my friends are together and can freely talk cars without someone popping up with a snarky comment, can introduce friends etc is my goal. I hate Facebook with a passion (both personally and professionally having worked with them in the past) so this is my way of fighting against their sh***y ways. Enter.. Dash...

Screenshot (6).pngScreenshot (7).png

Totally agree with you mate, FB does my nut in! Is that ..dash site a website youve created from scratch or is it one thats already running and you created a group on? Just noticed the url in the screenshot says its running from local_host so assume your building it yourself? Fair play to you mate, a social media platform for car enthusiasts would be interesting. 

Like the sound of the dturbo build too!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dave said:

Totally agree with you mate, FB does my nut in! Is that ..dash site a website youve created from scratch or is it one thats already running and you created a group on? Just noticed the url in the screenshot says its running from local_host so assume your building it yourself? Fair play to you mate, a social media platform for car enthusiasts would be interesting. 

Like the sound of the dturbo build too!

Yeah completely from scratch, I've used a few opensource packages for things like text editors save me trying to write them all from scratch! I'm currently about 100 hours in, pretty sure my eyes are about to bleed with all the late nights and early morning doing work where I can on it. At the moment I'm still unsure if dash will remain its name I've been thinking of other things but its the one that sort of fits! 

I've had D-turbo's before and they're quick even when stock internally, but a built one will cost about 1/5th of what I was going to pay for everything done on the K24 and will make good powerrrr.. which on a 1.4 box will be even more fun :twisted:

6 hours ago, UnicyclingTom said:

boosted D's are gay.  ;)

there you go, thread finished.:P

Looks intersting, this facebookOcars!

Hahaha Say Tom with the broken civic :P What actually is up with yours?

• Like 1

Cudos for building the site from scratch mate, it's a thankless task to say the least. But if you have the passion for it, the time and knowledge the end result is well worth it. I gave up on web design/html/php as I got to the stage where my brain was tired of it (See above eyes bleeding!) hence why I packed up mt wee web design company. Too much work and hassle. That's why this site is on it's current and probably last design and platform. Even modding the IPS platform to suit our needs has been time consuming and think my passion for all this web malarky has well and truely fizzled out!.

What editor did you go for for your site? Is it CKeditor, tiny mice or something similar? Hate the editor for this site but kinda stuck with it now.