buying advice on FK/FN?

kern

Hi All,

Does anyone have any experience with the FK/FN Civic, looking at getting the 5 door 1.8 version on a 57 plate. They seem to get good reviews but just wanted to know if anyone on here has got/had one and what they are like to live with in the real world!

Anything to look out for? known issues etc etc??

Thanks

Ok, the Fk/fn's. On the whole, cracking cars mate. Drive really nice, loads of kit as standard, really comfy (well, not so much in the fn2 obviously lol) and nothing else on the road looks like them. Even now, I think the 8th gen looks more modern than the current civic.

Fuel wise, even my 1.8 typeS was good mpg wise, think I averaged around 40mpg with mixed driving. Got more on a run. 1.8 has the R1.8 engine. Not a lot available bolt on wise for tuning for the r series.

TypeR drank fuel big time. Worst I had was dipping below 200miles to a full tank! That was looning around though, mostly VTEC everywhere. Driving like miss daisy, it got around 280 to a tank, which is pretty crap. It did manage 350 to a tank ONCE when I first got it, on a long run down to county Durham. But after that, even on long runs taking it easy, it would only manage between 280-300. 

The typeS suspension wise, was stiff but still comfortable. Only really rough roads made it feel a bit too stiff, but otherwise a nice balance. TypeR was stupid stiff! Got to the point any journey became a chore! Still, gotta love that power!

Things to watch for on all fk/fn civics:

• Rust on roof along top of windscreen. (Design fault of honda, they made the rubber seal too stiff so as the car flexes (which they do they chassis is stiff) the rubber cuts through the paint then that's like hell.
  • Front suspension top mounts. There's a bush in them that's prone to wear (usually nearside).
  • Check rear seat belts to see if they are wet. The roof drain Chanel on the roof has a seal/bonding underneath even the plastic trim around the bolts that come through from inside to outside that hold the trim on. The bond/seal breaks down, allowing water inside the rear Camera pillar and rear quarter panel. Left untreated, it will buggers the rear seat belt on the affected side, and the quarter panel/ inner will will eventually rot.
  • Front drop links to on them, but kinda rank them as service items anyways.
  • If it has panoramic roof, check for leaks and also rust where rubber seal meets the metal roof.
  • Bonnet/front bumper paint. The paint on them is woefully thin, and also soft. It's that crap water based stuff, and chips easy. Due to the shape of the front, the bonnet can become a mess in no time even with careful driving.
  • Niggles: even small things like changing the headlight bulbs is a fiddly and pain in the ass job to do. Like most cars of that age, there's naff all room in the engine bay to work on them. If you get a typeR, even a simple job like changing the spark plugs/coil packs means stripping off the bulkhead panel around the windscreen wipers.Also, what you'd think was a simple job like swapping the rear centre light panel to a typeR one isn't straightforward! The wiring for the lights is different so you end up with no rear fog light (an not fail!) So you have to change all rear lights if swapping to typeR style.
  • Rear calipers have the screw type pistons, prone to seazing if the calipers bind a little and are not fixed asap.
  • Check for crunches changing Ito 2nd and 3rd gear at high revs. Synchros are another known weak spot.
  • Dash plastics, although good quality are easily scratched.
  • No rear wiper/crap rear vision outfit them. Didn't bother me at first but even trying to make out what that car is following you behind is a nightmare. Started to buy me after a while.
  • Another downside is price. For a nice condition, low miles one you'll pay a lot.

Faults aside though, if you're going for the 5 door or any 3 door non typeR, I'd highly recommend them. I loved my TypeS. It handled the same as my typeR, but was way more comfortable for every day use. Loved the way it drove, the fuel economy, decent power on the road, and loved the way they look. I regret ever selling that FN1 and wish I'd kept it. If I do ever buy a newish honda again (won't go above an 8th gen tho as honda ruined it with the 9th gen), it'll be another TypeS.

Hope this helps mate. Oh and for even more info, check out civinfo.com Amazing site, bit like Civic5 . Tell em I sent you! Lol

Wow, quite a lot of info! Won't be getting a Type R, def the 1.8 prefer an EX model because of sun roof and cruise control, am looking at a blue ES one today, 100,000 on the clock, full leathers.

Will check out Civicinfo.com, never even head of that site before! :civic5rocks3:

3 hours ago, kern said:

Wow, quite a lot of info! Won't be getting a Type R, def the 1.8 prefer an EX model because of sun roof and cruise control, am looking at a blue ES one today, 100,000 on the clock, full leathers.

Will check out Civicinfo.com, never even head of that site before! :civic5rocks3:

Sounds good mate! Yeah, ex is well specced, seats are heated too if I remember correctly. The TypeS has same spec only the seats are half suede/alcantara or whatever they call it nowadays. Funnily enough, FB flagged up a memory today.... apparently 5years since I bought my typeS! 

Ex will have the dual climate control too which was nice.

I bought a lot of stuff from civinfo from members for mine. Great bunch over there, I still visit the site even now. It's like here, crammed with info on them. See now I'm looking at fn's on auto trader again! You're a bad influence! Gayle will not be pleased! Lmao :lol:

11 hours ago, Dave said:

Sounds good mate! Yeah, ex is well specced, seats are heated too if I remember correctly. The TypeS has same spec only the seats are half suede/alcantara or whatever they call it nowadays. Funnily enough, FB flagged up a memory today.... apparently 5years since I bought my typeS! 

Ex will have the dual climate control too which was nice.

I bought a lot of stuff from civinfo from members for mine. Great bunch over there, I still visit the site even now. It's like here, crammed with info on them. See now I'm looking at fn's on auto trader again! You're a bad influence! Gayle will not be pleased! Lmao :lol:

Test drove the ES today, can't believe how roomy it feels inside compared to my current mk4 Golf gti! Really nice spec, heated leather seats, and nice to drive, suspension did feel quite stiff but in a good way!  Surprised at how pokey it felt too. Unfortunately body work was pretty poor, looked a lot nicer in the photos on AutoTrader! 

Def got my heart set on one now, think I'll hold out for an EX model, lots of extras and nicer alloys!

Civicinfo looks good, not joined yet though. 

Do it Dave! You know you want to :lol:!

What mileage did yours have btw?

18 hours ago, kern said:

Test drove the ES today, can't believe how roomy it feels inside compared to my current mk4 Golf gti! Really nice spec, heated leather seats, and nice to drive, suspension did feel quite stiff but in a good way!  Surprised at how pokey it felt too. Unfortunately body work was pretty poor, looked a lot nicer in the photos on AutoTrader! 

Def got my heart set on one now, think I'll hold out for an EX model, lots of extras and nicer alloys!

Civicinfo looks good, not joined yet though. 

Do it Dave! You know you want to :lol:!

What mileage did yours have btw?

Mine had 13.000 miles on it when I bought it (was a 2011 model) and was at 23.000 when I sold it a year later for the TypeR. Looking back, was a really dumb thing to do as the typeR was older (2008) and had I think 42.000 miles on it. Not my best idea but head was in a bad place back then and needed a distraction (big distraction! lol)

On 3/13/2018 at 1:45 PM, Krzys said:

My EP3 is the better Type R to have out of the two :P

Dave enjoyed his drive in mine and that was before I fettled with it much :D

Does that mean I get another go? For comparison reasons of course! lol :D