Heavy shifter in reverse. B18 Deck

E=MC2

Guys, for a longer period i have something like tiny grinding on slow shifts and slightly not so smooth shifting, which i solve with double clutchnig or faster shifting. Along with this, reverse gear somethimes doesnt want to engage, and after s**ting to any fwd gear, it slides in. Pretty common issue, as i can read. Beside this, all the time lever is light and clicking precise.

But, few days ago, after night in garrage, gear lever at once became hard to engage. Rest of the gears work as before, only reverse is problem. Like it is jammed somehow, and needs more pull. Sometimes it slide smoother. It is the same both with engine on and off. 

Any ideas?

Clutch is like half a year old, and it is not much tortured. Some harder start in 1st gear, or some other harder shift, but very rarely . Pedal feel is soft, smooth and consistant, without any dropping or hardening areas.

I would like to underline that other gears are much softer to engage compared to reverse. Also, same situation is on engine turned off, when clutch shouldnt have much influence.

9 hours ago, E=MC2 said:

Clutch is like half a year old, and it is not much tortured. Some harder start in 1st gear, or some other harder shift, but very rarely . Pedal feel is soft, smooth and consistant, without any dropping or hardening areas.

I would like to underline that other gears are much softer to engage compared to reverse. Also, same situation is on engine turned off, when clutch shouldnt have much influence.

might be worth dropping the gearbox oil and putting some fresh in if that wasn't done when the clutch was done, and id still bleed the pedal because it's so easy and you only need some brake fluid. 

mines a little hard to get the gears but I've put a short shifter and polly bushed the linkage. I did find when i did the first time I couldn't get any gears because I'd over tightened the bolts on the linkage 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, E=MC2 said:

I would be more than happy if those few easy trick do the job.

Ill do them, and let you know the result.

it might not but that's where is start pal. fingers crossed for you

On 14/03/2018 at 7:07 AM, E=MC2 said:

This morning reverse works noticeable better  WACK11111. Ill anyway check bleeding and bushing.

If the car is left for say a couple of days how does it feel trying to select reverse? Difference in how it works when cold compared to warm/hot might indicate the oil needs changed as said above.

Think though that the fact it has went in easier today without anything being done to the car suggests it more than likely is just needing bled. Could be any trapped air in the system  has moved a bit making it easier to engage. So bleeding clutch, checking/changing oil along with checking the linkage/adjusting the linkage will I think solve the problems mate. Know if the linkage is even fractionally out it makes gear selection difficult.

If the above doesn't cure it, then possible thrust bearing (although our would hear noise from that).

As i said above, clutch set is les than year old, presses still smooth, and no funny noises like bearing one, i am sure that i would hear it, even if it is in beggining of dying stage.

I am waiting for some free time to go to the mechanic. We talk this morning, we will start from linkage, and bleeding of the cylinders. After that i might replace oil with new one.

Ill give you update, as soon as i got one. Cross fingers for me   :geek:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

As far i can write off bleeding, oil and bushing as cause of the problem. 

Both cylinders work fine. There was half liter missing, so we refill it. Bushing and joints are mechanicaly tightened with big pliers, and now lever is precise and firm.

Buth, problem is still present, maybe sligtly better because of better joints.

Friend mechanic said that only fork, or something else in gearbox is problem, so the box will need to go down.

At least, while waiting to get free time in garage, car is now fairly usable, with some convincing to go in reverse from time to time. 

Untill new updates, thank you all for opinions and tips  B)