My new MB6!

jalesi2001

WOW. love the ride hight mate. I want..

got a Q tho. did you just changed the springs itself? (not sure if I have asked this before on here) but I heard some people say if you just change the springs then the shocks will go over time. but a friend of mine who is heavily into his honda's said if you drop no more than 40mm then the shocks will be fine. :?

This is why I didnt mess with my ride hight, I dont want to damage the shocks but cant afford to play with spring and shocks/coilovers.

Also, whats the ride like? comfort wise? My old EK just had -40mm Spax springs changed and it was really comfy but firm, the other hand, my starlet turbo had -40mm eibachs spring and is as hard as my mates starlet with coilovers :evil: handles well but a defo no no on my daily car

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well your mate is right, if you lower the car with springs but dont change the shocks, then in theory you will shorten the life of your shocks, as they are not designed to work in a lowered position. Saying that, my mate has had his VTI-S lowered 40mm for 4 years now, his shockers are still fine with no probs....so its a risk you have to take I suppose, he is still running the original shockers that were fitted from the factory...

As for the ride, I haven't thrown it around really yet, but pottering around and driving on A/B roads to work it seems ok, obviously its a bit harder but not uncomfortable in the slightest.. its seems a bit more direct when it comes to cornering, (which is good!!) but not harsh at all. Overall its a daily driver and so I need it to be drivable, and so far im very happy!! And i know i keep saying it, but for £77...... :roll::lol:8-)

Can I just ask how much will it cost for me to get someone to put the springs on? and where would be a good place to get them fitted?

as for comfort, will you say it will be a comfy ride for transporting a 1 year old daily? I know the cornering wil be alot better but my main concern is for my little one. ATM the OEM setup is prob the best but if it's not too much different then I will defo consider this :D

Its easy enough to fit them. I did a set on the driveway on saturday on my own. Just get some spring compressors (although you dont actually need them for the fronts) and you`re away really. Few hours work.

www.europerformance.co.uk is a fairly decent website to get them from. Different brands = different prices. Eibach ones are about £120 or something around that. Jamex are £70-80ish, Apex are sort of inbetween those prices.

All springs are still going to be fairly comfortable, they will make it harder yeah but nothing to the level of uprated shocks/coilovers. The spax springs i fitted saturday have made it harder, can feel bumps and stuff more so than standard obiously but it hasnt turned it into anything you`d hate to drive and it`d still be fine for a little one in the back to be honest.

Yeah I agree with all that, i actually originally wanted Apex but the seller let me down, so I went for the Jamex. And yeah, its slightly more bumpy now, you kinda feel the bumps a bit more, but i dont have to slow down much more than I used to for speedbumps, it would defo be fine for a little one, nothing like the mega hardness of coil overs etc.

As for fitting them, yeah you can do it yourself if you are competent, but please be careful as a spring can take your head off if released when its not compressed properly. (NO JOKE :o ) As long as your LCA bolts aint seized, its a job that can easily be done in a day. Not sure about prices for fitting, but take it to someone decent, not a kwikfit or nationwide autocenter or ATS or anything like that!! 8-)8-)8-)

looking nice, i got those springs too, you want some low profiles on there now mate, im running 45s on a 16" rim with 195 wide. you get a slightly harsh ride but attacking the bends becomes a bit more easy. big shout to you for posting all your efforts. its what makes the site what it is. 1"£££$££"!!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived