Aircon button lying to me?

TaikoHax

Bought a 1.5 Aerodeck in Portugal as a runaround and had a local guy i trust fit replacement compressor, evaporator, other thing I can't remember and re-gass the whole thing.
We're 99% confident we don't have a leak, everything was flushed ahead of time etc and most of the important components are fresh.

However

No bueno cold air (which I need to survive out here during the day)

On investigation i realised that there's no material difference when the Air Con button is 'on' or 'off' so I -think- it's just pulling in air from outside rather than 'conditioning' it so my best guess is that the switch is borked in some way and not actually spinning the air con system up.

Is there a manual way of bodging or triggering the air con system or validating if it's working some other way?

Best thing I can suggest is to have a look at the AC troubleshooting guide in the workshop manual (pg 22-7).

If you haven't got it already, you can get it from the downloads section on here mate 👍

On 9/27/2024 at 7:17 PM, TaikoHax said:

Bought a 1.5 Aerodeck in Portugal as a runaround and had a local guy i trust fit replacement compressor, evaporator, other thing I can't remember and re-gass the whole thing.
We're 99% confident we don't have a leak, everything was flushed ahead of time etc and most of the important components are fresh.

However

No bueno cold air (which I need to survive out here during the day)

On investigation i realised that there's no material difference when the Air Con button is 'on' or 'off' so I -think- it's just pulling in air from outside rather than 'conditioning' it so my best guess is that the switch is borked in some way and not actually spinning the air con system up.

Is there a manual way of bodging or triggering the air con system or validating if it's working some other way?

Out of experience when you click the AC button it should start the AC radiator FAN even when the car is turned off (Edit: Engine off, but key turned all the way) , you should be able to faintly hear it when there's no noise

• Like 1

Is the AC Radiator fan a seperate fan to the main fan (if that makes sense?).
e.g. my main fan blows good and strong, it's just not very cold (about the same temp as the ambiant outside air)

Hmm, i wonder if my expectations are way off. Does the air con on these cars blow nice and crisp or is it...meh/mild.