temp getting hot, is this normal?

ep82

Sorry to start another topic but I am kinda poo-ing myself.

also sorry if this drags on abit....

Where I live, there isnt many big hills (well not in or surrounding my town). Tonight I was going to work again and I saw a poilce sign and the road has been shut off, the road have been diverted to some unknown road which I have never been before.

I had to take it easy as I calculated that I just had enough petrol to get to work and back but I didnt expect the diversion. so I was just plotting along about 45 and I came to this big steepish hill....

Right, it was a big hill which I didnt expect, I took the hill in 3rd doing about 3500rpm-4000rpm for about 15 secs, at that moment I was talking to my wife so I didnt realized what I was doing or how long I must of been doing this for (untill I think back) and this time and for no reason I decided to look down to check the temp :?

I saw that the needle in the temp gauge was about 3/4 way up :o I said OMG to my wife to get her to see it as well but it then drop back down within 4 secs to normal temp.

I checked my temp gauge all the way back from work but it was normal. thinking back to it, I think I saw the temp gauge abit higher than normal a couple times AND when we had that big snow beginning of this year, I managed to drive 8 miles with hot air turned up and my temp gauge was just over the bottom line. but when I turned the fan off, the temp comes back up. :?

can someone tell me if there is something wrong with my car?

I had the same problem with my CRX 1. blown exhaust followed by 2. dodgy temp reading and 3. mis-firing and engine cut out whilst doing 70mph on the motor way :shock: then the car cant even be fixed by honda.

ATM I have hit the first 2 steps in the same order, I dont want to get the 3rd step and I dont want to sell the car on :cry:

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say you have a thromostat problem (its not opening fully ) the are around £5 to buy and a 10 min job to fit (3 x 10 bolts) . i would drain the cooling system and refill with new anto freeze at the same time . Have a good look at the rad to make sure there is no leaks as if there is that could also be your problem . as for testing the thromostat you would have to take it out to test it so you may as well fit a new one , but if you want to test it just drop it in a tub of boiling water and see if it open fully . Rich.

Nice one Rich. I was hoping it would be something like the thromostat as I know it wont cost to replace but I thought I'd better check and ask before I get it done.

I checked the rad today again and the water is still at the top. so I dont think it's leaking.

My CRX had an electrical problem. the dizzy wasnt right or something. the engine cut out over and over again when I was doing motorway speeds. The rev meter would jump all over the place like at 3k then at 8k-6k-2k......and towards the end before I sold it as I dont want anymore problems, a wire cought on fire under the hood. scared the poo out of me.

I took it to 5 garages and not a single 1 can fix the problem and 1 of them is my local honda :cry:

Look man relax do not sell your car just because there is something wrong with it. You can fix it.

Hondas suffer with probloms from distributors, ignition moduals, injection relays, and even ignition switch's, which lead to intermittent cutting out :mrgreen:

so its not just you

First Check the fan

Then Check the rad

Then Try Changing The Coolant

Then the thermostat

Then there's the water pump

If your not mechanicly minded download the service manual

1. main menu

2. downloads

3. pdf service manual (download)

4. Then go to cooling

For fan testing: Fan testing, Radiator fan testing, Page 10-17

For the rad test: Radiator, next page, Cap testing, Testing, Page 10-9

For Changing Coolant; Engine Coolant refilling And Bleeding. (Mix The Right Amount Of Coolant/Water) Page 10-7 & 10-8

For thermostat / Thermostat testing : Thermostat: Replacment: Next page testing: 10-10 & 10-11

For the Water pump: Water pump, Inspection, Replacement, Page 10-14 (This May Be Tricky If Your Not Confident Get Your Garage To Check It)

So There You Go A Few Busy Day Out For You :mrgreen:

thanks for the reply James

well the CRX issue has lasted 3 months, 3 months of nothing but problem and it's just a drag to drive that car around, no longer fun. It's just a problem that no one seems to know the awnser to and no one can fix it. I just dont want to go through that again

anyway back to the civic.

I tried to download the service manule but it says I need a username and password. any idea?

things I have checked

rad - no water leakage. it's still topped right up and I squeeze the top and bottom hose to move the coolant - no wet patch on the floor.

coolant looks clean and I am sure it was changed on last service (feb)

I had the water pump changed too when I had the cambelt changed so it should be fine unless it's broken already or it's not fitted properly :shock:

just need to check the thermostat and fan really but cant access the manule

I remember when I had a cooling problem. Temp gauge went to about 3/4 or just over but no higher. Thought it was just the fan which turn out just to have a loose wire. So tried a flush of the system and then things really started to heat up... Went on the motorway just after finishing the flush and, well, looked at my gauge and it was nearly the full way up so had to stop let it cool, go a wee bit, stop, etc. Was only a couple of miles from my house and it took my an hour to get home :shock: .

So got back and looked around (once the engine had cooled right down) took out my thermostat tested it and it was jammed closed wouldn't open at all!

But it is freaky when you see that gauge rise suddenly.

So I thinking I will agree with rich on this one, its the thermo :P

Archived