temp getting hot, is this normal?

ep82

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the reply Rich

it's got to happen to me again doesnt it? every time I get to finally enjoy my car, something bad happens.

Well is there a definate way to tell if the head gasket is gone? I can book this in with my friend but I dont want to waste the money if it's not.

also is it wise not to drive the car then?

To find out 100% get your mate to do a cylinder leakage test . so how it works:

you take the plugs out and screw in turn some what like a compression test end in to were the plug would screw into . then put an air line on the end of it at lets say 120 psi .The piston you are testing has to be at the top and on the compression stroke , so both valves are closed . If you had a leaking inlet or exhaust valve you will here the air come out of head and into the mainfold of which ever side was at fault , if the gasket has blown between the bore and the coolent water way you will get bubbles of air coming to the top of the rad (so remove the rad cap when doing the test) give each cylinder a couple of mins with the teaster on so the air can work its way around the system so you can see if there is a fault . if the gasket was blown bore to oil way you would here the air coming out of the dip stick and breathers . Rich.

Ive got a radiator you can borrow, im in birmingham though.

any civic rad will fit it, you can go 2 the scrapyard and get a 1.5 eg/ek one for £20. you will need jubilee clips to fit your VTi hoses as the diameter of the non vti rad inlet/outlet is slightly smaller..

They are not like the k series rover engines or anything , but if they have high mileage or have overheated due to other faults (fan not working or thermostat problems it starts them off , in may experance i have seen the most head gasket problems on boosted engines . Rich.

Try coolant leak test first. If thats all hunky dory, check for HG problems, mayo in the oil cap, white smoke etc.

If not I personally think you didnt bleed it properly.

I always fill coolant on MB6's with an incline with the car pointing up, open the heater controls to hot and leave the fan OFF.

MB6's are notoriously a b*****d to bleed as there is no bleed nipple. Took mine half a day before it belched out air thru the rad filler neck.

soz for the late reply. my comp has cought virus

Thanks again for the reply Rich.

poolstar. My car is at 101400 miles atm bought it at 98500 last year.

since the last reply I have topped up the overflow (not sure the name, the bottle connects/next to the rad) bottle up with water and it hasnt dropped, I am hoping that the last time it ran low on fluid in that bottle is because I still had air in the system like alot of people said. errrrm will that make the rad draws fluid from that bottle???

Hopfully now the system is completely bleed out and the fluid will stay where they are.

hmmmm there is another things I am testing out. I noticed that I tend to get high temp readings when the car is in traffic jams atm. when I start to move, the temp drops. could this be my AEM induction kit sucking massive amount of hot air, esp with the warm weather ????? I have changed the filter back to the OEM airbox today and tested it out briefly (but not long enought trip) and it seems to sitting in the normal spot without movement..... touch wood.

Archived