temp getting hot, is this normal?

ep82

:evil::evil::evil:

right........... went down to honda today. they told me that it would be no charge because they were supposed to check the sensors last time (which they said they did) but they will ''re-check it for me'' again.

dropped the car off and sat there 5 mins then the mechanic came over and said do i mind if he takes off the thermostat? he said no harm will be done, just slows down the temp warm up. I said ok, do what ever you need to do to check for the problem I am having with the temp gauge fluctuating. sat for a further for 1/2 hour and the chap said.... all fixed. it was my thermostat. it was jam shut so the bottom pipe will not get hot (but he said the bottom pipe will not get hot last time due to my rad) he showed me 1/2 of the stat as he said he had to cut it off.

told me to drive it for a week and see how it goes, then next time he can fit the stat for me and honda can charge me for a full 1 hour labour. :shock: sooo wheres the no charge?

thought ok. as long as the car is fixed. id rather pay to get it done properly.

went to tesco which was ;ess than a mile away and I thought I would let the car run whilst my missus goes in for a few items. about 4 mins sat stationary, the temp has rised to 1/2 again. doing what it did on the vid.

went back down to honda and spoke to the mechanic.

he said the gauge is fine. as long as it's not getting towards the red then it fine as it's still cooling down when the fan comes on. I said for the past year since i own the car, the temp will get to 1/3 and stays there, also everyone on this site agreed, he said well I cannot compare to anything as there isnt another vti around so as far as he is aware, the temp gauage can be normal.

we sat there watching the temp gauge rise to 3/4 and he said yeah, the movement is more than normal but everything in the engine compartment is working fine, cools down fine and the bottom pipe is getting hot now,

even tho before when he tested it, I drove about 1/3 mile to honda and he had the car on for about 3 mins....I dont think the bottom pipe will get hot that quick!!!

he then said I may not know what was the rigt reading as the car had blocked rad and stat so my reading could be wrong at the first place.

I said. look. can you test out the sensor so I can see if I should buy a new unit from honda and he said normally he would use a infered heat gun to read the temp in the part where the sensors goesm but he has got one cos they cost £150. Plus testing it will mean he needs to remove it, put it in oil, boil the oil up and test it that way.........

he said everything seems fine, it's cooling down it's just the temp gauge messing about, plue it may be something behind the gauge, it could take AGES to find the problem.

then he said he wont bother to fit the stat back on, he has had cars where he did not fit it back on and it's ok. He also drained my antifreeze and topped it up with just water at the moment till i go back to get the stat fitted!!

oh joy. sorry for the essay

so I paid them before to find out I have a problem which I know I had. I dont think the rad was blocked as he didnt leave the car running long enough to warm up and the stat was brand new!

p**sed off, I phoned up my friend who works in autobits to get him to order me a temp sender unit and he said he will get one in tmorrow for £10. got to do this myself i guess. any tips in how to remove the temp sender?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The switch on the thermostat housing is the Fan Switch, (turns on the cooling fan), the small sensor with 1 wire going to it is for the temp gauge, (in the side of the head), and the other sensor in the side of the head with 2 wires going to it is the coolant temp sensor for the ECU.

They just un-screw Chi if you need to change them. Check out the manual for how to test them, but you will probably need to own and know how to use a multimeter.

The switch on the thermostat housing is the Fan Switch, (turns on the cooling fan), the small sensor with 1 wire going to it is for the temp gauge, (in the side of the head), and the other sensor in the side of the head with 2 wires going to it is the coolant temp sensor for the ECU.

They just un-screw Chi if you need to change them. Check out the manual for how to test them, but you will probably need to own and know how to use a multimeter.

Archived