B18c4 vtec and IAB idea

vtivtec170

Had a thought today, people with the b18c4 like myself want it to be more like the b16 where when the vtec comes in it comes in stronger.

I know the IABs on the b18c4 is vacuum operated but there must be an electrical bit on the vacuum to allow the vacuum to open the IABs.

Would it be possible to run a parrallel wire from the vtec solenoid to the IABs wiring so that the IABs are opened when the vtec comes on?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
if you want b16 style crossover get a vtec controller and set vtec to come in at same time as iabs...or fit a p73 ecu

isnt the p73 out of the teg surly this wont fit

IAB works from electrical feed given out be the ECU. At given revs (5800 standard), so if you can modify that signal, you can choose the revs IAB kicks in. All the feed does is turn off the vaccum required to close IAB, as without the vacuum, they remain open!

I'd say getting a adjustable VTEC controller, but wiring this in to the IAB signal wire 'should' work! So take the cheapest VTEC controller, Probably Buddy Club VCON, wire it up to the IAB signal rather than VTEC, and hey presto ;)

Without adjusting the VTEC engagement I wouldn't do this, as one without the other sounds good, but does nothing for performance! I wouldn't use the VTEC signal to fake IAB signal either, that has potential fry the ECU or even the VTEC solenoid, either way, bad times! :(

Obviously this is theory as I've never done it, but, if I had my MB6 outside, I'd have ordered one already!

Hey john,,,, slighty off topic! ,,, So on my apexi if i rised it to the 4500 point to the same as the 5800 one would a have a bigger bang/noise as everything kicks in together? :?:;)

Hey john,,,, slighty off topic! ,,, So on my apexi if i rised it to the 4500 point to the same as the 5800 one would a have a bigger bang/noise as everything kicks in together? :?:;)

When i first got my car mine was set at around 4500, i changed it to 5100 and it does feel better i think.

so my iabs are open all the time then? so there would be no need to kink the pipe as iabs aint installed in the ecu so the ecu wont be telling it to close

When i first got my car mine was set at around 4500, i changed it to 5100 and it does feel better i think.

Really! Might have to play around with it! See whats best! ;)

Archived