rear wheel arch rust prevention

acivic

I noticed today some rust bubble forming on the rear wheel arch :( :(

I think I might try DIY to resolve it via the underneath (other side of paintwork). But the rust seems like its forming from the hollow area in between bodywork/ paintwork. (Hope that makes sense)

Ive noticed there is a plastic grommet plugging a small hole on the rear wheel arch, Im guessing this is where rust preventative can be injected somehow. Is this correct? if so, does anyone know how to go about it. Thanks in advance :)

rearwheelarch.jpg

Update/ edit:..thought I'd have a go at it myself as it seemed like an easy job lol & being a nice day n'all :) well I think I've messed it up a bit :( as I thought the waxoyl was too thick & I thinned the waxoyl too much (anyone know how to thicken it back??)

This is what I did: I got some waxoyl & a plastic syringe (which I think was from printer refill kit or something) I couldnt find any tubing to shove in the wheel arch hole :( so I got an old ethernet cable & cut off the end plugs & pulled out the wires-made a nice long tubing pipe :) ) then fed the tubing through the wheel arch hole, then I took the syringe & sucked in the waxoyl into it, then attached it to the home made flexi-tubing pipe, I then started slowly emptying the syringe & slowly pulling/ moving the tubing around to get the internal surface covered.

Im going to have another go at it some other day as it started dripping out through the bottom of the car/ drainage holes? I think it was a bad idea thinning the waxoyl. Im guessing it was dripping even more because it was a fairly hot day.

I was reading on net & found on mg forums that the wheel arch rusting away on mg rover & honda is due to bad design & sometimes there wasnt even rust prevention sprayed at factory. Thats really messed up.

btw I think its better to buy the proper kit to do the wax injecting into cavities etc, I just used the 'I cant be asked to spend anymore on this car' route :)

• 3 weeks later...

which part of the arch matey?...under the rear arch is a plastic stone chip protector strip-liner...remove this and clean regular..the dust holds moisture and any moisture settling on/or near arches isnt a good thing. :)

im not sure on the 5dr as never taken it too bits but on the 3dr you remove the rear door cards/plastics and seats and you can access the inside of the arches. spray with wax oil.

on the outside, remove the rubbers as said and use underseal or schultz or similiar ..

on the integra they have wierd little slits at the end of the side skirts which let moisture in, if the mb has them, i'd advise blocking them ..

• 1 month later...

Heres some pics of the MB3/MB6 rear wheel arch rust (these are web found pics). The rust is coming through from at a point where the hollow area/ cavity is. The cavity acts as/ is some sort of internal drainage run off, which ends up running off water to a drainage hole in the sill.reararchrust.jpg

reararchrust2.jpg

Heres some pics of the MB3/MB6 rear wheel arch rust (these are web found pics). The rust is coming through from at a point where the hollow area/ cavity is. The cavity acts as/ is some sort of internal drainage run off, which ends up running off water to a drainage hole in the sill.reararchrust.jpg

reararchrust2.jpg

THATS THE STRIP IM TALKING ABOUT... :shock::shock::shock: ...

I know the rubber strip you guys are talking about :) but if youve got rust there, have a feel carefully underneath edges like where theres a type of join where it curves, behind that you will see the rust comes up through the cavity (well it does on mine). Im guessing the wax injection at factory in the cavity area gets washed away by water through the drainage channel.

• 1 month later...

heres a question.

a friend of mine with a civic EK told me to take the strip and clean it (which I do) but then he said put grease on the strip before putting it back on. is this a good idea? he said the metel will then absorb the grease over time, which will prevent rust

Archived