b18c4 wont vtec!!! need help please

aarondevine

Also mate. Got to ask, do you know the difference on the MB6 between VTEC and IAB open points?

VTEC is 4500, but the stereotypical NOISE at 6000 rpm is the dual runners in the intake manifold opening.

So is it at 4500 or 6000 when you get the issue? :D

Bth totally different issues which could point you in totally different areas!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

rite so,checked all the wires and all seems good, took out o2 sensor cleaned it and put back in, reset ecu, took for a spin and checked codes again, no codes showing! (think the code mite have been ther from a previous time i had the o2 sensor disconnected) so ther is no codes and the cel doesnt come on at any time! yep heard people talking about the difference before, i get the noise at 6000 rpm! would this suggest a problem with the inlet manifold?

I'd say so mate, or the IAB solenoid not orking properly!

b18c.JPG

On the right side of the inlet manifold, there little disk shaped thing....

There's a little plunger on top of the disk shaped thing, press it, to make sure it moves freely!

When you turn the engine on, the plunger should move to close off the vacuum!

Stand and watch it while someone else turns the car on!

Hi, my friend has got a similiar problem on his accord type r..

he always reckoned his vtec wasn't strong.. and the car was slower in 'tec!

so we done a diagnostic check and the 02/lambda sensor needed doing..

got it changed, all error codes cleared. Car was running smooth, no engine light but i raced him and pulled about 10 cars on.. Couldn't believe it..

We think the cat has collapsed or is clogged up hence it killed the 02 sensor also.. Possibly the same with yours??

Although i'm not sure how you would check it as we are going to take the accord to my mate who does custom exhausts so he should be able to check..

Like Rich says mate, if the simple DIY bit's don't sort it, Dyno will help you out to see where and when it's dropping power.

Then you can work out what happens in the power curve at that point and trouble shoot from there!

rite so,checked all the wires and all seems good, took out o2 sensor cleaned it and put back in, reset ecu, took for a spin and checked codes again, no codes showing! (think the code mite have been ther from a previous time i had the o2 sensor disconnected) so ther is no codes and the cel doesnt come on at any time! yep heard people talking about the difference before, i get the noise at 6000 rpm! would this suggest a problem with the inlet manifold?

Cleaning the o2 sensor will do nothing , if they are faulty they do not put the cel light on all the time , that is the problem with them knowing when they are faulty , they are not big money i would change it and see how you go .

Rich.

• 5 weeks later...

I'dbe looking at IAB's mate.

Check they open. When the engine is off, they are wide open, when the engine runs, the solenoid closes and shuts odd the butterflies till 6k.

When you start the engine, you should see the vacuum plunger moving....

If it's not moving, then there is an issue. I'd say you are likely to have IAB issue, rather than fuelling.

Archived