b18c4 wont vtec!!! need help please

aarondevine

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thanks lads, ill try that and see! also do you have to reset the codes when you add the new part or is there any way of doing that?

ECU Reset,,,

After much Googling about resetting the ECU a variety of answers come up. None which seem to fully apply to the MB6 as usual :roll:

Some of the literature says that Honda ECU's have a fuse that says "back up" or a fuse that says "ECU" and you should remove these. The MB6 has both :lol:

After trial and error today I got a good result from the below.

After getting the car warm I shut her down and took out the "ECU fuse 15A" and the "Back Up fuse 7.5A"

Left it 10min

Started the car and just left her idling, you're supposed to leave it till it settles down to a smooth idle, [i left it idling for 10min as the fan activates after a certain point and it gives a chance for the fuel trims to include this].

Shut the car down and started it back up straight away. [This is supposed to save the new fuel trim settings].

right so i was driving to work this morning, and when the car reached the crossover point it made this like "buzzing" or "butterfly" noise, almost like the vtec was trying to work but just couldnt get ther! ther was no increase in power just this strange noise? only happened a couple of times then it would just stop, anyone any ideas?

All I can think of on that would be a dodgey wire mate.

VtecSolenoid.jpg (stolen picture from google!)

On the VTEC solenoid, there is a green / yellow wire, check that is ok, but to be honest, if you are getting a ECU code 41, (4 long and 1 short flash) I think you should get the O2 sensor looked at!

Might just need a clean, or that itself is in a prime place to get a sheared wire!

O2 sensor is in exhasut manifold just before cat! Get under car, take it off, give it a good clean, check the wires!

36622887lg.jpg Stolen from google again!

Then reset the ECU, put it back on, give it a whirl, and recheck the ECU codes. If it flashes that it's got issues, I'd change it! If VTEC solenoid / feed to it had issues, you'd get a real constant CEL on the dash at 4500rpm which wouldn't go away.

Archived