Engine Getting Too Hot

harVTEC

Alright everyone.

Got a slight problem, I have just got my Civic on the road after it has been sitting for a year (warmed up every few days) I have noticed that the temperature gauge shoots up when I'm driving.

There is the correct amount of coolant and oil, my tutor at college (mechanics course) reckons it is the thermostat. Due to it working on wax, due to the year of sitting it has probably siezed.

Can get the kit for £13 so that's alright, just wondered if anyone else has had this problem, what else should I check etc?

Only way to cure it at the moment is having the heater on full heat while driving.

Thanks in advance.

harVTEC

just get a new one anyways and give it a good bleed should be fine after that i reckon

Was planning on it, how would I go about draining and changing all of the coolant? Just undo one of the hoses and have the cap off? It's something I want to do before winter as I don't know how much of the mix is water :/

Cheers.

harVTEC

never changed it all b4 but i think there might be a drain plug on the bottom of the rad. if not as you said just drop off the bottom hose. you can also run the car with out a thermostat if you are worried about over heating. isnt a 50-50 mix?

never changed it all b4 but i think there might be a drain plug on the bottom of the rad. if not as you said just drop off the bottom hose. you can also run the car with out a thermostat if you are worried about over heating. isnt a 50-50 mix?

I will have a look in the morning. Yeah my Dad said he used to just bypass it when it went wrong on any of his cars, it's just there to help warm the engine up faster isn't it? It's meant to be yes but I want to be certain it's bang on haha.

harVTEC

Archived