Didjeridave's MC2

Didjeridave

If turbo route ever gets going, I'll definitely be building the engine with forged, possibly even B20 at the same time? HA, now I'm dreaming!

The weekend's seen the front arms rebushed, old rack out, new rack in place ready to figure out which bolts went where over the week...

I'll get you some pics soon, honest. If it wasn't clarted in mud at the moment, there might be some sooner, but then the godsend that is my father-in-law's grain shed being dry, well lit & more importantly empty of grain way outweighs a splattering of farm track crap here and there!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there's a little teaser of pics in the how to I'm putting up as I sort the geom. All Hard race suspension is now in & thanks to Jonnyricer I've slipped in a P28 with a fast road chip from H-tune :)

If it wasn't for the utter pain t'int bum that is my utterly unexplained engine coolant sensor fault (all connections good, sensor tests OK, grrrr), I'd be slogging to get it sorted, but with daylight & crap weather it's sat waiting.

Have to say that the short drive I've done with the DC2 rack didn't feel a much different at all, I'm wondering whether this idea that it's faster is true...

Here's hoping for a dry weekend...

...did manage to replace the heater blower switch with a switched 10k pot for my slightly unnecessary PWM motor control. It does go way past the 'IV' mark now though - I reckon this calls for marking it with 'XI' for full blast (apologies to any kids that haven't seen Spinal Tap). This will give fully adjustable fan speed, removes resistors from the air vents completely, so no hot bits of metal that burn out or big fat ceramics that cause loads of turbulence noise.

yeah Wilksey, I'm pretty sure you're right. At least I know I've got a good rack in there with new inner/outer rods & gaitors, plus it clears up the issue. Next time I'm at the car I'll see exactly how many turns it makes lock to lock & post.

yeah Wilksey, I'm pretty sure you're right. At least I know I've got a good rack in there with new inner/outer rods & gaitors, plus it clears up the issue. Next time I'm at the car I'll see exactly how many turns it makes lock to lock & post.

:D nearly got one for £70 glad i didnt now pheww!!looked at part numbers they are diffrent though, but same price, Mmm suspisious !!may be the difrent pipes ect 8-) thanks for the honesty mate ;)

I don't think they're the same part exactly. Pipes are funnily enough the opposite way around, at least with the rack I fitted. There's a 14mm hex connector & a 17mm hex. They both correspond to the same fitting, i.e. 14mm is in/out/[don't know which!] on both racks, but the position of the pipes on the rack is switched. At least, I swear that's how it seemed when fitting. I had all ends of problems trying to get the thing in because of very slight alignment issues; very easy to crossthread mounting bolts when all the steel piping is being twisted from what it should be. Frankly, don't bother!

• 3 weeks later...

Finally sorted a basic geom after a snow/rain free weekend! Engine coolant sensor arrived, plugged in & code 16 vanished to reveal a code 22... A couple of ecu pin bridging mods later & finally have a fault free vtec-ing vti! Geom still not perfect, but I set 1mm toe in on the front so it tracks straight rather than faster turn-in. Reckon I'll try setting it parallel before commenting officially on the DC2 rack, although it does seem quicker; virtually any movement of the wheel sees the car turning. Not even sure if I prefer it!

Have also replaced the heater blower with a PWM motor controller; it works but overheats; the 40W capability is clearly lies (blower motor 7W) - circuit to be redesigned with some fatter components.

Slowly getting somewhere...

Archived