Hickster's MB9 Aerodeck-

hickster

Hello fellow single cam bus fans and welcome.

We shall start with £431 of MB9- one carefull owner from new, then one apparently short sighted ram-raiding fan, then myself.

100_3620.jpg

100_3615.jpg

First free mods- remove broken wheel trims and manky mud catchers rear arch liners and sill covers- fairly rot free. Good.

SRS light fixed, low fan speeds sorted, broken steering wheel out my old MB6 wheel in, along with my Momo shifter from out of the loft.

New battery and a quick b-road blast; engine and suspension start to free up nicely. TAB's seem to be nearly gone, I have another pair I completely failed to get put on the MA8. I'll put them in the boot and sort out my ipod connection instead- job done!

The D15-Z8 has just done 103k and seems strong and has been fairly well serviced in the past. I know it probably doesn't float the boat of the VTI crew but I am well pleased about getting hold of one of these engines in good nick- one of Hondas best. I'm not feeling the rat look/motorstorm style at the moment even if I will end up bouncing mountainbikes of the roof, so I need to sort the bodywork before it causes any major issues. Front wings and front/ rear bumpers needed- all seem to be beyond help.

The sunroof has a seal up job from hell-

100_3619.jpg

I think I will re seal it a bit neater and maybe carbon wrap it for the moment. Not really sunroof sorting weather!

Only insurance friendly mods here I'm afraid- the intention is a super efficient 'deck, it's not going to be dropped I need the ground clearance and good mpg.

Need a decent set of 15's, also considering oem 15" steelies from a newer civic or insight if anyone knows a good 4x100 source. White wheels I think either way.

If anyone knows where the hell I can get Yakima stuff in this country (google image 'Yakima Honda') I'm after a rack fairing, not had much luck with Thule either (will be using a Thule 757 kit).

Thats it for the moment- standby for a service Hickster style, engine bay cleanup, brake sorting, panel bashing and chrome eradication. You know you can't wait!

eBay shopping list-

Car £431

Bosch S4 battery £53.94

K&N panel £30.27

Hamp Honda d-series oil filter £9.98 (worth it, Tegiwa do packs of 3 cheaper)

NGK irridium zfr6fix-11 £19.98

Mine's mag sump plug £6.50 (perfectly necessary of course! :oops: )

Rover 45 tweeters £7.50

Fan resistors £6.58

nearside mirror glass £9.99

Stainless m6 bolts £2.89

Ipod cable £4.99

Vinyl wrap, up to about £6 so far

Aero wipers £6.29

Pollen filter £8.40

Brembo OE discs £52.08

EBC pads £37.97

Front wing £15

Front bumper £30

Rear bumper £30

Bumper bar and wing brackets £30

Offside driveshaft £50

New plates £21

Toyo T1-R x2 £72

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers guys, quite pleased with the price in the end considering it has a new exhaust cat back, new front nearside upper wishbone and all the electrics (bar the sunroof) work and it has a fairly new Alpine head unit which is my new favourite thing!

Yeah there doesn't seem to be a UK importer for Yakima, probably have to get one from the states.Thule also make one but nobody here seems to sell it- don't know if the're just not popular enough or some other reason.

• 2 weeks later...

Like this?

That's the one. I was planning to use my Thule kit from the Alfa (square bar kit) but the cost of the new legs is about £70 :shock: . My mum gave me her old halfords set-up; which doesn't look to bad to be honest- still with square bars though. Think I'm going to sell the Thule stuff and use these until I can afford a decent aero kit. I'm interested to know how you get on with 4 bikes on board? My cars roof rails don't seem all that beefy to me, not loose just a little flexy! are all 'decks a bit like this? Have a single bike carrier on at the moment and it seems ok, not tried any high speed cornering though!

The Yakima racks are round profile so not sure if the fairing can be adapted to fit, I think Yakima might be doing a new aero bar system. It looks like the simplest way to get hold of one is via ebay, not sure what the import duty is like though. A lot of money for what is basically a flat sheet of polycarb (?) and a few brackets. I'm tempted to start experimenting with some templates; wonder if a 3mm carbon sheet would be up to the job?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yakima-32-Roo ... 5d316f694e

In other news; It's amazing the difference a servive makes to these engines, I had forgotten how responsive they are to a bit of tlc. A few unipart bits lighter and without the (apparently 3 month old) pitch black manky looking oil it's a different beast. Also had the sideskirts and front arch liners off to clean out the mass of mud from inside the wings etc. car must be a couple of pounds lighter (and stil no rot to be found :? ). Brembo OE discs have turned up so on to brakes when the pads arrive.

• 3 weeks later...

Few updates-

Had the rails and gutters off; tightened up a lot better going back on seems a lot more sturdy. Now sporting a lovely pirates black booty after bending the rear brackets back into shape in the vice. I'm quite attached to my black bumper. Not particually a fan of vesuvio red; it doesn't somehow look as classy as milano or carmen red for some reason (and pirates is awesome of course!) might get a front to match in a black mask style!

100_3666.jpg

Brakes are on; have to recomend that break in stuff on the EBC pads- works a treat.

Extended my too short (Kwik-fit doh!) exhaust that the previous owner had put on, now I don't gas myself when the car is stationary!

100_3664.jpg

Major dents are out of the bodywork, sunroof is working, wing is sprayed ready to go, off to pick up wheels this afternoon.

Also- nice to find a original part still fitted! This car is dealer stamped up to 80k but the pollen filter is still partying like its 1997 :shock: whoopsies.

100_3657.jpg

Archived