Hickster's MB9 Aerodeck-

hickster

Ok a few updates- not great deal happening as my time is a bit limited at the moment.

New clean plates ( no funky lettering or volvo dealer ads ) which I am very pleased with and stainless (of course!) security fixings. got rid of the wrong size rover tyres for some new T1-R's from Camskill. Also colour coded front grill which is a vast improvement. Still not sure on the colour scheme though; I'm leaning more towards colour coding the replacement bumpers.

100_3968.jpg

100_3969.jpg

100_3972.jpg

Still need to lose the rear chrome. Sorry about the filthy car but you know what the weather's been like. It has been washed, detailed, polished, T-cut'd and waxed but you'd never guess!

Offside driveshaft started knocking so got a new one from J&R for £50 delivered ( :shock: about £370 from Honda) I'll let you know how it fits but looks good and 2 year warranty. Waiting for my MTF from Opie- hopefully I'll also be able the select reverse a little more quietly as well!

100_3971.jpg

Also a bit of JDM for the small one!

100_3973.jpg

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It coming along from when you first got it mate :D The grill is a big improvement. In your last pick you have wrapped your window weather strips. Was it a bitch to do? I really need to do something with mine, as they have been shot for over a year :(

Yes- fairly easy to do. I'm going to do mine again in gloss black- the cheap carbon effect is a pain to clean and looks a bit odd.

I found the trick is to pre cut strips with one really good edge (2 or 3 cm can't remember exact size but you need to get it just right with enough to fold in between the rubber and the metal bar) that way you don't need to get a scalpel anywhere near the paintwork- make sure everything is clean and dry then line up the decent edge to to outside of the weather strip and fold the back side into the groove with an old credit card etc. A small amount of heat gun/ hairdryer also helps but as its a thin strip not too much!

Yes- fairly easy to do. I'm going to do mine again in gloss black- the cheap carbon effect is a pain to clean and looks a bit odd.

I found the trick is to pre cut strips with one really good edge (2 or 3 cm can't remember exact size but you need to get it just right with enough to fold in between the rubber and the metal bar) that way you don't need to get a scalpel anywhere near the paintwork- make sure everything is clean and dry then line up the decent edge to to outside of the weather strip and fold the back side into the groove with an old credit card etc. A small amount of heat gun/ hairdryer also helps but as its a thin strip not too much!

Cool so you didnt remove them to wrap it then? I was thinking black vinyl as the rear window seal that is fixed is black and i think anything else would look odd next to it.

Cool so you didnt remove them to wrap it then?

No I wrapped them instead of painting so I didn't have to take them off- it's a bit of a pain.

Coming along a treat, if you do colour code the bumpers leave the rubbing strips and keep the skirts black too.

Thanks, I have actually coded the skirts black and it annoys me that they still look dirty all the time. Part of the problem I am having with the black/ red scheme is where to end the black sides without interfering with the rubbing strips. one idea I am thinking of is a fairly small side stripe (4" maybe) with red coded skirts and possibly a red coded Vti lip with the black bumpers.

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update-

J&R shaft is in, fitted fairly well- the splines are not quite as smooth as oem ones but went in with a bit of grease and a light tap. It is a bit odd not crunching around every 3 point turn, you kind of get used to it!

Old box oil drained (no gears fell out yay!) didn't look too bad for 15 year old MTF. Motul is in and it feels zoo much better, I have bled the clutch and adjusted the pedal as well and I'm well impressed with the results- almost perfect really.

My next problem is the trailing arm bushes which are really not shifting in situ. Options are getting the garage to do it (£120 per side possibly arms out job) + tracking. Buy the extractor tool (£170 ish or get one made) this might not work as they may need a hydro press. Remove the arms myself and risk damaging the abs sensor and have the car off the road while I find someone to press them out. Or drill out the rubber and bang in some powerflex (£40) which may lock out the rear steer (depending on who you listen to) and ride like an old cart.

So if anyone has any ideas?

Archived